UGA CB jailed for not giving his name to police

greene_dawg

I mean, really???

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/070610/bre_665812423.shtml

Georgia cornerback Jordan Love was arrested late Monday night by University of Georgia police on a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of a police officer.

Police responded to a call from a residence hall staff member about three individuals shooting off fireworks outside McWhorter Hall, Chief Jimmy Williamson said this morning.

When police arrived, two of the individuals stopped and talked to officers, but Love did not, Williamson said.

“Mr. Love was not cooperative,” he said. “It took several attempts to get his name. They never did get his full name. He was arrested for obstruction for not giving his name and date of birth.”

Love was booked into the Clarke County Jail at 11:35 p.m. and was released this morning at around 1 a.m. after posting a $5,000 bond.

The redshirt freshman from Glen Allen, Va., was listed as a third-string cornerback on the post spring depth chart. He underwent surgery for a toe injury last season and did not play.

Georgia coach Mark Richt is aware of the arrest and is gathering more information, a UGA spokesman said.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
What a moron. Our team is retarded.

steve woodall

Man what a frustrating offseason.

Doc_Holliday23

geez... just give him your name. how stupid can kids be?

Damon Evans is saying "We're gonna need a lot bigger diversion than that..."

rex upshaw

as usual, many of you are making this into a far bigger deal than it is-

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2010/07/06/uga-football-player-arrested/

Georgia football player Jordan Love was arrested late Monday night on a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of a law enforcement officer, but UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson told the AJC late this morning that the arrest now appears to have stemmed from a “breakdown in communications.”

Williamson said UGA Police responded to a complaint about fireworks being shot off outside McWhorter Hall and arrested Love at the scene for obstruction because he would not provide his full name.

However, Williamson told the AJC that, after talking with Love’s family this morning, there are extenuating circumstances that will be presented to a Municipal Court judge, who will decide whether to drop the charges.

“Mr. Love, I think, was honest in his attempt, and the officer felt he was being evasive,” Williamson said. “It was a breakdown of communications.

“The circumstances as being reported now is the individual just doesn’t go by that middle name,” Williamson added. “There are personal reasons why, and I don’t want to divulge the circumstances, but talking to those people -– the point they made seems very reasonable. The officer didn’t know those facts at the time. We will make that known to the court and let the court decide based on what is known now.”

Williamson said alcohol did not appear to be involved in the incident.

He said UGA Police do not have the power to drop the charge but will make the facts known to a Municipal Court judge, probably late today.

“Sometimes verbal communication doesn’t go as well as you’d hope,” Williamson told the AJC. “This young man, from what I gather now, was operating from honest intentions, but it’s easy for an officer to think he’s dealing with [a situation] like other individuals you see in the past.

“When I see all of it, as police chief, I do think we could have done better. I will say as a department that could been handled better and done better. When I look at the … officer’s account, I can say I see that point, but I think that point is what we need to work on in the future.”

Love was booked into the Clarke County Jail at 11:35 p.m. and released on $5,000 bond at 1:03 a.m.

Love is a redshirt freshman. He did not play in a game last season. He is listed as a third-string cornerback on the Bulldogs’ most recent depth chart.

Doc_Holliday23

doesnt go by that name? I don't go by my first name, but when an officer asks if that's me, I tell him "yes sir."

Come on Rex.

rex upshaw

“The circumstances as being reported now is the individual just doesn’t go by that middle name,” Williamson added. “There are personal reasons why, and I don’t want to divulge the circumstances, but talking to those people -– the point they made seems very reasonable.[/COLOR] The officer didn’t know those facts at the time. We will make that known to the court and let the court decide based on what is known now.”

LanierSpots

doesnt go by that name? I don't go by my first name, but when an officer asks if that's me, I tell him "yes sir."

Come on Rex.

I agree. It depends on what happened after the arrest. I am sure if will be dropped but we dont and wont know the real story.

Its just he continued happenings that should be alarming.

Doc_Holliday23

well if a 19 year old boy and a police officer can't come together and figure out a name, so much so that the boy gets arrested because they cant communicate a name, then they both need to be institutionalized, or maybe just put down, altogether.

let's play a game... guess Jordan Love's middle name that he is obviously so embarrassed by that he is willing to go to jail to avoid his friends finding out about it...

I believe that Strother Martin has already addressed the situation.

The way you wants it is the way you gets it.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1fuDDqU6n4o&hl=en_US&fs=1?border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1fuDDqU6n4o&hl=en_US&fs=1?border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Georgia Hard Hunter

What is wrong The University Police and Clarke County Sherrif's Office? They seem to go out of their way to make a name by arresting athletes. You don't hear about these kinda of things in Auburn, Tusculossa, Starkville, or Oxford. These are young men and young men make as lot of mistakes, if nobody is hurt or property is not damaged or people are not endangered (dui) why not take them to the coach and let him deal with it. If the High School Athletes are paying attention why would they want to go to Athens and walk the straight line with no forgiveness? Hey and this is coming from a Georgia Hater!

Last edited:

Doc_Holliday23

What is wrong The University Police and Clarke County Sherrif's Office? They seem to go out of their way to make a name by arresting athletes. You don't hear about these kinda of things in Auburn, Tusculossa, Starkville, or Oxford. These are young men and young men make as lot of mistakes, if nobody is hurt or property is not damaged or people are not endangered (dui) why not take them to the coach and let him deal with it. If the High School Athletes are paying attention why would they want to go to Athens and walk the straight line with no forgiveness? Hey and this is coming from a Georgia Hater!

i don't think anything would have happened to this kid if he'd been forthcoming with all of the information the offiecr asked of him. he was not charged with anything related to the fire crackers and I don't think any of the others were arrested.

furthermore, how would he know he was a football player if the kid wouldn't even tell him his real name?

further furthermore, nobody knows who a 3rd string DB is...

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Not trying to make a big deal out of it Rex, I'm just tired of it. This doesn't seem like a very big deal at all. Just some kids playing with fireworks. Not exactly something off The Wire here. I also didn't know that you could be arrested for not telling a cop your name. That seems a bit extreme.

But having said all that, if the cop asked him his name, he should have just told him his name and been done with it. It will be interesting to see what all the facts are. But even if his middle name is Mann, it seems like a little embarrassment is preferrable to a trip to the slammer. Then again, maybe he's like me and didn't know that would actually land him in jail.

Wes you seem like maybe you need a nap brother.

topcat

Wes you seem like maybe you need a nap brother.
Nah, not tired... Just remembering all the :stir: that went on around here last year when our program was in a downward spiral. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I think I'll partake in a little ::ke: back at y'all.

It's all in fun, right?

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Maybe his middle name is Sue or Linda.:D