Upgrade help

hoythunter1861

I am looking at purchasing a DSLR soon, and it will be my first into the realm of "nice" cameras. Since I know virtually nothing about it, I'm looking at getting something that is good for a beginner, obviously photos, and maybe minor video if I use on stand. Currently looking at the Nikon D3300 and D3400.
Any advice will be awesome!

wvdawg

Staff member
Those look like good choices. They do a good job on video too.
Post up some shots when you take the plunge!

rip18

The sheer number of options that are available for folks wanting to purchase a DSLR are overwhelming!

Either of the two entry level bodies you are looking at should serve you well for general photos & video.

Once you get the body & a lens or two, it'll be time to figure out how to use ém!

I've got a friend that teaches camera classes, and he says the three most important things are:
1. Read the manual.
2. Read the manual.
3. Read the manual.

He also says that manuals are dull & hard to read, so buying an "aftermarket" manual like the "D3400 for Dummies" can be a much better choice to get the same information.

Not everybody learns well by reading, so taking a camera class locally (many are available through different colleges, groups, etc.).

I also learn a lot by going out shooting with folks who shoot similar gear to mine. Sometimes that is one-on-one, sometimes that is with a group (several camera groups/clubs have outings - you can find some of them on Facebook, MeetUp, etc. One good one in Georgia is the Georgia Nature Photographers Association - www.gnpa.org).

Good luck!

hoythunter1861

Thanks for the advice yall! I'm glad to hear about the video being alright for them. One day, will probably pic up a nice video cam, but for now they'll do. Looks like I'll be going with the D3400 since it's only about $50 difference.

And I will for sure be picking up as much reading material (the dummies book I hadn't even thought of).

Any thoughts on whether it's worth the risk of buying used or just go new? No really upset on either way, just had to ask

wvdawg

Staff member
Whichever way you choose, make sure a warranty is available.
B&H Photo has always been good, both new and used.

rip18

Any thoughts on whether it's worth the risk of buying used or just go new? No really upset on either way, just had to ask

Lots of folks buy a camera and then decide that they just aren't using it and sell it. Just like a car, a camera depreciates as soon as it goes out the showroom door. I certainly don't mind buying a lightly-used camera, though there are always risks when buying used. There are some reputable used camera retailers, like www.keh.com, and there are deals to be had on camera/photography forums and on social media/selling platforms. Just do your homework, and if something sounds/looks fishy, the safe thing to do is look elsewhere.

Good luck!