Whats the better food source to hunt

DMCox

Hey guys, so I'm trying to figure out what would be the better food source from a preference standpoint. I found a couple chestnut trees dropping right now and a couple hundred yards away a white oak dropping as well. I've never actually found a chestnut that was dropping so I was wondering if deer/bear would prefer a chestnut to a white oak? I see sign around both so just have to pick which one to sit over... Thanks y'all!

HunterJoe24

Whichever one has the most sign. But I would sit over a white oak, acorns make up most of a deers fall diet

Lucky7

Is it a chestnut oak or a SWAMP chestnut oak. Google both. I would say a white oak is preferred over a chestnut oak. But a swamp chestnut oak is very preferred, and probably equal to the white oak.

DMCox

Thanks guys, I love how quick you can get feedback on here.

Whichever one has the most sign. But I would sit over a white oak, acorns make up most of a deers fall diet
I was thinking the white oak as well, just never found a chestnut with nuts dropping before.

The spot where you have trail cam pics of deer during shooting light.:huh:
I don't have a trailcam set up, this is on public land.

Is it a chestnut oak or a SWAMP chestnut oak. Google both. I would say a white oak is preferred over a chestnut oak. But a swamp chestnut oak is very preferred, and probably equal to the white oak.

Its not a chestnut oak or a swamp chestnut, I believe this would be a chinese chestnut or dunstan chestnut. I didnt know swamp chestnut acorns were that high up on the preference, thanks for the info!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The chestnuts will likely be gone before the acorns. I would guess that the deer will prefer the chestnuts to the acorns while they last.

Possum

Banned
I have field tested this and poured out piles of Chinese Chestnuts next to piles of white oak acorns. They will not touch the white oak acorns until all the Chinese Chestnuts are gone.