Long hot search for this old gal.

jigman29

Sitting in a white oak Stand and let a couple spikes go when a dog doe fed through. I watched her for half an hour and she got within 30 yards with no shot. It was getting close to dark and I decided to try the 44 yard shot. I have my bow dialed in at 60 just for practice but won't try a deer at that distance. But I was confident so I put the pin at the shoulder and let it fly. She dropped a little and I heard the wet paper bag sound of a good shot. I listened and was sure I heard her fall.
After waiting a little while I found my blood soaked arrow. But I looked and looked but couldn't find a drop of blood. After an hour of searching I went to my buddies and was gonna recruit some help. We were eating and I couldn't get anyone on board at first. They all thought I hit no mans land and she was gone. I got pretty adamant about at least walking the thicket out and asked if anyone had a dog man I could hire. I finally got a couple guys and we went back with a dog. Not a drop of blood anywhere and a quick 58 yard tracking job by the dog and there she was. I walked within 10 yards of her twice but it was so thick I missed her. Everyone said I was crazy to put the effort in and was even willing to hire a dog to find an ole foe. But I take it very serious when I shoot an animal. An ole doe deserves the same effort as a big buck to me. So 5 hours in the Washington county heat and I had her in the truck. Sorry for the terrible pic but I was hot and sweaty lol.

Attachments

• IMG_4721.jpg
    IMG_4721.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 2,163

jigman29

Forgot to add. The reason for no blood was a high shoulder entrance and exit. She was full of blood but none came out.

BowanaLee

Good job ! ....gotta do, what cha gotta do.

chenryiv

Ethical hunter!! Good job.

Buford_Dawg

Great job!!!

It is so nice to see fellow hunter putting forth the effort to retrieve his game. No reason a doe should not get the same effort as a buck. Unfortunately, I have seen it time and time again, the hunter puts forth a semi effort to find a doe and never thinks about calling in a dog to help, but if it was a buck, it is a different story. Congrats again and that is a nice nanny.

Huntin Nole

Way to stick with it and recover your deer. Every hunter should make this effort, regardless if they feel the shot was perfect or not.

Latest posts