War Between the States

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Sorry Cobb. He commanded a division under Ewell at Gettysburg .

Now since you said it that way
I think it was a Gen. Johnson who failed to take the hill at Gettysburg. Don't remember a first name for the gentleman.

westcobbdog

This Gent was born in Cassville, Ga., and made it to within a few months of graduating West Point before war broke out and he resigned to offer his services to the South. His West Point roommate was George Custer. Later their Cav. units clashed. This man was the CSA's youngest Major General at 28..he survived the war to become a politician.

westcobbdog

when this Yank Lt Gen. retired early in the war, there had been only 1 other American Lt. General Officer ever in our Country's history.

Who were these 2 Gents?

westcobbdog

With no guesses I have a new clue...The first Lt Gen. was a few generations before the 2nd Lt Gen who retired at the inception of civil war. Lt Gen #2 was a yankee.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I missed this question. I am thinking G Washington and W Scott

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ok. Let’s let one of our newbies to this thread get this one.

What battle in the Western theatre was said to have been fought higher than clouds?

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I'll keep it moving...Lookout Mountain portion of the Chattanooga battlefield

westcobbdog

That’s it Milk; but who was the person in charge of Camp Lawton?

Was he prosecuted after the war along with Wirz of Andersonville and the Reb who ran Libby prison in Richmond?

westcobbdog

Was it General John H. Winder

Good guess, as Winder caught all you know what after the war.

Answer is a Reb last name Vowel, who escaped the wrath of the North by having a clean water source to serve the prison, decent supply of food and the conditions were much better than nearby Andersonville. He also was known to be a rather good guy and the blue bellies mostly liked him, so he had good press if you will.

Resica

Now since you said it that way
I think it was a Gen. Johnson who failed to take the hill at Gettysburg. Don't remember a first name for the gentleman.

It is Allegheny Johnson(Edward). Sorry it took so long to get back.

westcobbdog

This Reb was a former yank who moved South just before the war and offered his services to the South. In the Atlanta campaign he designed a fort named for him. Rebs built 36 of these NW of Atl. and 2 survive today.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Brig gen. Francis Shoup, designer of the shoupade

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
This talented confederate administrator's field hospital designs saved many lives during the war and served as a template for use in all subsequent american conflicts

Status
Not open for further replies.