Sharp curves surface?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I've noticed lately on alot of back roads with sharp curves they are resurfacing only the curved portion with a different material than asphalt. Almost looks like a very course sandpaper. Does anyone know much about this, I'm just curious about it

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Not concrete, I stopped at a curve and looked at it. It's very small round pebbles, about the size of a bb and smaller. And it looks like it's held down with a glossy type paint.kind of hard to explain, until you see it.

sparky

they put it on 60 between morganton and suches in some curves,trying to keep 2 wheelers from sliding,i guess

T-N-T

That surface and some Z rated tires = good times

naildrvr

I noticed it here in Thomaston on SR 36. This has a brown look unlike the black asphalt.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
I noticed it here in Thomaston on SR 36. This has a brown look unlike the black asphalt.

That's where I noticed it the most, I was driving between thomaston and Waverly hall. That's a very curvy road, and they have it on about every curve.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
You just described pervious concrete..............

Maybe, I'm.not sure, but you can tell it's a thin layer they put on top of the asphalt.

swampstalker24

I think they call it "chip sealing" around my parts. They basically lay down on new layer of asphalt then cover it with small rock, let it dry then sweep away the excess.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
It is called chip sealing. Spray a layer of Asphalt Oil then coat with rock chips. Cheap resurface job. Helps traction and prolongs the life of the road assuming the base is good

NOYDB

BANNED
Looking at the picture on that link, that is definitely it. Pretty cool stuff, but I bet it would make for horrible road rash.

It does. Picked the little gravel out of my kneecaps with some needle nose pliers after dropping my bike. Thirty plus years latter still have scars.

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
They have that mess up most of 212. It was like riding on a gravel road until they got it cleaned up 3 weeks after they put it down

bassboy1

I've heard the term tar and chip.

They've been doing the bridges up I-75 in the Cartersville area - both on the interstate bridges over the river and the exit bridges over the interstate.

naildrvr

That's where I noticed it the most, I was driving between thomaston and Waverly hall. That's a very curvy road, and they have it on about every curve.

They needed it. With all those curves, there has been some nasty wrecks on that stretch of highway.

hancock husler

Actually it's a polymer overlay. Epoxy bade and speed withe pea stone. See it mostly on old bridges and approach slabs

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Interesting