.300 AAC Blackout for Deer Hunting?

cneedha1

Hey all,

I recently bought a Daniel Defense M4 V5 .300AAC Blackout for fun and pig purposes. Have any of you had any experience with this round for deer hunting?
I will be using it this weekend since i am letting a friend borrow my .308 for his son.

Wiskey_33

I've seen a few threads on other sites where people have successfully taken deer with the 300. Know your limitations and use the right bullet and you should be fine.

morganco.killa08

i bought the upper assembly for my dpms. i took it last weekend to see how it fairs against whitetail thinking with bullet size it will work great. i was wrong. it does not have the kill power what so ever. i shot this 14pt 210lb buck at 25 yards and had to shoot him twice to finish him. in the same hunt i shot 180+/- 10pt at 50 yards and never found him. best and worst hunt of my life. i wont ever take that to the deer stand with me again. i am also shooting 225gr ballistic tips.

papachaz

i bought the upper assembly for my dpms. i took it last weekend to see how it fairs against whitetail thinking with bullet size it will work great. i was wrong. it does not have the kill power what so ever. i shot this 14pt 210lb buck at 25 yards and had to shoot him twice to finish him. in the same hunt i shot 180+/- 10pt at 50 yards and never found him. best and worst hunt of my life. i wont ever take that to the deer stand with me again. i am also shooting 225gr ballistic tips.

can you talk about bullet placement? I can't believe that caliber wouldn't kill a deer, isn't a .300 blackout a 30 caliber, basically a .308? I'm just curious why it didn't provide a clean kill. I have to admit my ignorance on this one, no experience with that setup at all. I also have to admit I'm not sold on ballistic tips, as they CAN have a tendancy to come apart and not do as much internal damage as their name suggests

dom

gotta go on. that bullet should have way more than enough power to drop a deer in its tracks. especially at 50 yards. bullet should be good out to 100 yds. then not so much.

throwdown

The 300 is nowhere near the 308. It is a short range bullet that was designed to be shot sub-sonic. I own 2, and can tell you that I would not deer hunt with mine.

morganco.killa08

the deer in my avatar is my 14 pt. that i shot with 300aac. both were perfect broadside dropped the 14pt the other ran like - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -. blood everywhere at impact but not much for blood trail dried up within 30 yards

papachaz

The 300 is nowhere near the 308. It is a short range bullet that was designed to be shot sub-sonic. I own 2, and can tell you that I would not deer hunt with mine.

ok thanks. As I admitted, I don't know anything about this one. I did google it, and the first link that popped up said this about hunting with it:

For hunting - think of it as like a 30-30 but from an AR. After you are done, you can remove your 5-round magazine and put in a 30 for plinking or home defense. For ammo, Remington has you covered with the Premiere AccuTip 125 grain. Want industry-wide support? Over 60 companies have already announced or sell products.

it also talked about having similar ballistics to a 7.69x39MM.

I'm curious about the bullets now. next time I'm at Academy, I'm gonna open a box and see what they look like. there are a lot of people that hunt with a .223 successfully, I can't believe a bigger bullet than a
.223 won't take a deer down

morganco.killa08

thats what i thought when i bought it. last year i shot a doe at 60 yards with my .223 and dropped her and she never moved. but i no i wont take this back to the stand. if i would of listened to my dad and taken my ruger .270 i would be bucked out for this year.

papachaz

the deer in my avatar is my 14 pt. that i shot with 300aac. both were perfect broadside dropped the 14pt the other ran like - I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -- I AM A POTTY MOUTH -. blood everywhere at impact but not much for blood trail dried up within 30 yards

just curious, is that red spot in the middle of the deer the entry hole?

there was a real good discussion on here a week or so ago about blood trails, about a high entry even with a high exit hole don't leave much of a blood trail cause the deer will bleed out internally, into the chest cavity and not much blood will make it out the holes to leave a trail.

morganco.killa08

yes that is the entry hole. the bullet did not go through. i no that the other buck i shot is dead guess ill see if the buzzards can point me in the right direction tomorrow.

deast1988

Iv read not experienced. The lighter faster rounds above subsonic are the ones you want to hunt with. Go to midway USA read the reviews of the offered bullets. It's similar to an AK round that's more modest. Similar to a 30-30. Knockdown wise. This round is like all others. Each load offered or made has certain abilitys in which it was made for or to fill. I'd look into the lighter Hornady super shock tips. And start with a doe. All the advice I can give. But with any sub magnum cartridge like what was already stated know your limitations.

cneedha1

yeah the round was designed to be shot through a suppressor subsonic. it is designed not to have much penetration, more to transfer kinetic energy into the body and not exit.
i have not hunted with it yet and will probably continue to hunt with my .308 until i get more range time in with the blackout.

on another topic... i have been dying to hunt something other than bacon with my 1911.

Is is even legal to kill deer with a .45 handgun?

devin25gun

No a 45 does not have the minimum kinetic energy needed to kill a deer period. At least the states limitation. At least a 10mm 357 mag or 44 mag. In a 1911 frame the 460 rowland is a good option.

HuntinJakes

Banned

Isn't that the subsonic round? Isn't the 110 grain the full power round?

rjcruiser

yes that is the entry hole. the bullet did not go through. i no that the other buck i shot is dead guess ill see if the buzzards can point me in the right direction tomorrow.

If that's your entrance, were you aiming right under your stand?

Just looks a bit on the high side to me...close to no man's land.

As far as the original question...see this thread here.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=717990&highlight=son

I guess if it is good enough for a 5 year old::ke:::ke:

:pop:

cneedha1

thanks guys.
The reason i asked about the .45 is this: i have 165 Gr. supersonic rounds for it made by Wilson Combat that i have used for pigs and it will stop them in their tracks. Also saved my hide from quite the angry pit bull on opening day of muzzle loader season this year.

I will be doing much more research on it before i try it, but i think those supersonic 165s would do the trick, assuming it is legal in the first place.

HuntinJakes

Banned
thanks guys.
The reason i asked about the .45 is this: i have 165 Gr. supersonic rounds for it made by Wilson Combat that i have used for pigs and it will stop them in their tracks. Also saved my hide from quite the angry pit bull on opening day of muzzle loader season this year.

I will be doing much more research on it before i try it, but i think those supersonic 165s would do the trick, assuming it is legal in the first place.
The 125 grain 300 BLK seems to do great within 150 yards

GroundMan

Yes it will work.

It is closer to a 7.62 x 39 (Russian). The .308 is 7.62 x 51.