What to do with deer ribs?

Mako22

BANNED
Are they worth cooking and how? I have always left them on the carcass but was wondering if any of y'all eat them.

7 point

I just get all the meat off them and add it to sausage

oogachaka

Take the meat off for sausage or stew.

Take off one rib(or a cannon bone split in half) which you can use to flesh the hide before you turn the hide into leather / buckskin.
Use the buckskin and the rib cage to make a sled for children.

Mako22

BANNED
Woodsman, we've took the whole rack of ribs before and grilled em at deer camp a good many times back in the day when i was in a deer club and they were good to chew on while sitting around the campfire...just don't over cook em'.

A friend of mine said they were tough to chew on and not much fat in them so I have never kept them before. I may try your advice and just grill em up at camp for something to snack on around the fire.

Win270Brown

Had a lady in NC a few years back make some KILLER deer ribs. I'd never used them until that day and they were very good.

sgtstinky

they are good, wrap em in tin foil with olive oil and spice or barbeque sauce and cook them with low heat.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually cut all the meat off the ribs and grind it. There's about 5-10 lbs of meat on there that most people waste.

Ghriz

I cut um up into sections and then roast um ..bag um up and use um as dog treats for months ! We do almost all the bones this way ..my dogs love me !

ponyboy

Woodsman, we've took the whole rack of ribs before and grilled em at deer camp a good many times back in the day when i was in a deer club and they were good to chew on while sitting around the campfire...just don't over cook em'.

:cool:

adebord30183

Recently we started cutting them off for a something for my uncle to cook up around camp. We cooked them once just straight out and they had good flavor, you just needed the Jaws of life to chew them. We then boiled the next batch for about an hour in coke and water and then threw them on the grill in Aluminum foil with some sauce and they were quiet tasty. As said above they aint much there but worth it for something to do around camp. I darn sure aint gonna fool with them to grind.

308NavyDad

salt pepper flour deep fry...everythings better with flour and grease.just something to munch on while dinners cooken...

luke6/22

Trim off all visable fat,Pressure cook 25 minutes in equal parts beer and water, add about a teaspoon for each half of fennal seed mustard seed and corriander and seasoned salt, rince when they come out and finish on hickory grill with your favorite BBQ sauce the pressure cooker will make them fall off the bone and tender plus you boil off most of the fat. If you dont get the fat off it sticks to the roof of your mouth like wax and tastes nasty. Enjoy

adebord30183

Trim off all visable fat,Pressure cook 25 minutes in equal parts beer and water, add about a teaspoon for each half of fennal seed mustard seed and corriander and seasoned salt, rince when they come out and finish on hickory grill with your favorite BBQ sauce the pressure cooker will make them fall off the bone and tender plus you boil off most of the fat. If you dont get the fat off it sticks to the roof of your mouth like wax and tastes nasty. Enjoy

Your right about that fat. Like eating boot tallor if you dont get it gone!!!!

jbrown50

My grandmaw cooked them in her pressure cooker a lot when I was young. They had a good taste and very tender, I always put the pot licker on rice.

BDD

My Dad had a friend that processed deer. Most folks didn't want the ribs, so he would save them for my Dad.
He would cook a bunch of racks at a time. He'd just put them in a big pot and cook them down slow until you
Could pull the bones out. He added onions and spices and when he was done he had a big pot of what look like
Pulled BBQ. Also if you put it in the frig over night all the fat would harden on the top and you could scoop it out.

We'd eat off it for days….

famdoc2892

Deer ribs

Tried a couple of times over the past 3 years I've been hunting to cook up the ribs (grill, crock pot, etc.), always ended up with tallow ruining the experience for my family. Given the trouble it is to cut and section them compared to the other "good" meat cuts, decided to leave them with the hide and hooves unless we come across a fool-proof way to remove that tallow! 5-10 pounds of meat isn't worth spoiling my family's taste for good venison!