Forge? Blade Making?

Never done this, me and a buddy were kicking it around as something get into.

He is mechanical and builds C130's for Lockheed so Id think the technical end of the set up he'd get right away. He is a heck of a fabricator.

Ive got 2 anvils from my granddad's farm. 100 plus year old anvils. Im not to shabby at making stuff either.

Id love to get to the point of making some of the stuff I see folks post.

Thanks.

Capt Quirk

A propane tank, pipe, fire brick, a shop vac, and a steel wheel, can all be used to build a forge. And that is about the extent of my knowledge. Good luck with it :)

Anvil Head

Check out the post below about my Trackrock Hammer-in in Sept.
You guys are welcome to attend. You will see all types of setups and support tools and can ask serious questions. Many of us bladesmiths have slightly different approaches to forging blades because "it's what works for us", but in the end we are striving to achieve the same results. There are many ways to get there and you will have to find the way that fits your abilities and available equipment. I would advise not sinking a lot of time and $$ into any particular kind of equipment until you have attended a few such events. They can really open your eyes to what can be done with a minimal amount of toolage.

Hope you will consider Trackrock - if you do find me, my time is limited at these events, but I will help you as much as possible. Most any of the participants will gladly explain what they are doing, how and why.

Just remember one thing....kids come first! Be respective of this please.