Weed/berry ID.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Wash bushhogging the food plot behind the house and noticed tons of these around it. Not sure what they are?

Attachments

• 2017-08-19_10.48.56.jpg
    2017-08-19_10.48.56.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 522

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Staghorn sumac, looks like.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
Think Nic nailed it. We have some on our place but not sure if the deer eat it. Here's a short vid on it and how to make a tea from the berries.

rip18

Rather than staghorn sumac, this looks like winged sumac (because of the teeny leaflets along the rachis between the larger leaflets).

The berries are used by a lot of birds in the fall/winter. They've also been used to make a reddish dye. They have also been used to make a lemonade type drink (more like lemonade than tea because the fruit is acerbic). I've made it a couple of times, and haven't found it worth continuing to do...

Capt Quirk

I also have to say it is possibly Winged Sumac. The berries can be dried and ground for a spice. Used on fish and fowl, it gives a slightly lemony taste. The Indians also used to make a lemon ade out of it.

The mtn man

Mountain folks call it red sumac.

blood on the ground

Thanks for the responses. I did a quick search of each name you guys used and almost all come back with a lemon like description and a short list of its uses.

Capt Quirk

I like it on chicken and fish, but pork works really well too. I'm waiting on a bumper crop of the berries (Known as Drus), and make some wine. The bark is also good for tanning hides... I think. That is a little out of my skill set.

blood on the ground

I like it on chicken and fish, but pork works really well too. I'm waiting on a bumper crop of the berries (Known as Drus), and make some wine. The bark is also good for tanning hides... I think. That is a little out of my skill set.

Do you have a picture of the Drus berry

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That is winged sumac. Sumac has many medicinal uses, you can make "lemonade" from the fresh berries, the leaves can be used for tanning and smoking mixtures, and the berries are also commonly used as a spice in Middle Eastern cooking. It is the dominant seasoning in Za'atar.

Capt Quirk

All those little red things, is what I'm referring to. They are actually a seed. Birds eat them throughout the Winter.

Killer Kyle

Indeed winged sumac! It has incredible wildlife value. Songbirds love the berries, and the berries on smooth sumac also. Anacardiaceae Rhus Coppolina and rhus glabra I believe are the names!