Nashville Statement reactions

Artfuldodger

I don't believe Deuteronomy 22:5 is talking about women wearing pants or button down shirts, it's taking about men and women dressing up to make themselves look like the opposite gender.

That's because you are thinking in today's thought process.
What about in your great grandfather's eyes?
I can tell you that when I was a child, women didn't wear pants to Church and girls didn't wear pants to school.

There are still many Christian schools that don't allow girls to wear pants. They do see it as girls dressing as boys.

Now back in the Middle East when Deuteronomy was written, I have no idea what men and women wore that made them look different.

Now men wear long hair and put it up in a bun. That and two ear rings.

Artfuldodger

I don't believe Deuteronomy 22:5 is talking about women wearing pants or button down shirts, it's taking about men and women dressing up to make themselves look like the opposite gender.

I can see what you are saying. Like doing it on purpose to draw attention to one's self. Kinda like prostitutes do in a big city. You can just look at them and tell by their dress.

They want everyone to know that they are women. Makeup, wigs, short skirts, nail polish, jewelry, etc.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I can see what you are saying. Like doing it on purpose to draw attention to one's self. Kinda like prostitutes do in a big city. You can just look at them and tell by their dress.

They want everyone to know that they are women. Makeup, wigs, short skirts, nail polish, jewelry, etc.

So we are casting stones now?

You wouldn't fare too well in New Orleans, many of those prostitutes that want you to know they are women really aren't. ;)

stringmusic

To Be Determined
So you believe in a Biblical sense that women should come to church with their head covered, no make-up, no jewelry, sit in the back and shut up.

I mean if we're going to follow all of the edicts of Biblical direction, lets don't skimp on any.

No, and I never said that.

I don't think that women should come to church looking like a street walker.

stringmusic

To Be Determined
That's because you are thinking in today's thought process.
What about in your great grandfather's eyes?
I can tell you that when I was a child, women didn't wear pants to Church and girls didn't wear pants to school.

There are still many Christian schools that don't allow girls to wear pants. They do see it as girls dressing as boys.

Now back in the Middle East when Deuteronomy was written, I have no idea what men and women wore that made them look different.

Now men wear long hair and put it up in a bun. That and two ear rings.
How far a person or church takes the Deuteronomy passage is up to them. I believe if a women or man puts on clothes that would make someone think they are the other gender is a problem. You can tell my wife is a women when she has jeans on.

Israel

BANNED
I have never needed help from miniskirts, nor ever been dissuaded sufficiently by Burkas to understand regardless, I have a particular interest in reproductive means and organs.

The one of earth can hold attention only as long as it can, for it is passing away. It's deepest recesses are all...darkness. The mystery can never be solved, or resolved there.

Looking into the means by which the Father begets, however, is all of light. Yes...be caught...looking.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I have never needed help from miniskirts, nor ever been dissuaded sufficiently by Burkas to understand regardless, I have a particular interest in reproductive means and organs.

The one of earth can hold attention only as long as it can, for it is passing away. It's deepest recesses are all...darkness. The mystery can never be solved, or resolved there.

Looking into the means by which the Father begets, however, is all of light. Yes...be caught...looking.

Maybe your most unintelligible post yet. Props for keeping it semi-short. :smash:

gemcgrew

The Antidote.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod
And does the Lord say for those who have been born with both ovaries and testacles.
Or both penis and vagina?
And the many variations of the mixture?
Who decides? The church? The doctor? The pastor? The parent? The individual?
What if even the individual can't?

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

Though I owe all to Christ for He has redeemed me, I also owe nothing for He has already paid. Why not give that paradoxical truth away to all? Freely!!! Why does man try to put so many strings on the Gospel? Why do I so often want to? It's really simple!

Matthew 11
28 Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.

gordon 2

Though I owe all to Christ for He has redeemed me, I also owe nothing for He has already paid. Why not give that paradoxical truth away to all? Freely!!! Why does man try to put so many strings on the Gospel? Why do I so often want to? It's really simple!

Matthew 11
28 Come to Me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.

The idea that we owe nothing, with the implication that it is all done for us becauseJesus has already paid the bill has been given as a truth since the Reformation.

Although many claim it as truth few can live by it. So if it is part of the burden made light, a yoke made easy... it don't seem to fit the sheep because it has not made men or women, it's so called saints, gentle and lowly of heart and rested in the blessing that is redemption. Like it is with society in general, that 20 percent suffer from mental illness at any
given time, could it be the same with spiritual illness a percentage of some kind?
I would sort of ask why does the Gospel constantly need to be "stringed" to saints that have already known and been captured by the Gospel? This is very different than presenting the Gospel to people who have heard the message but have not received the simple blessing of a burden light and an easy yoke.

Now yoked by the ties of Christ, and to those works that are my Lord's directives for me, why would I need the strings and spins of a revival tomorrow or new ties to my yoke? Is this from God? Or from men? And I have to wonder if the idea of owing nothing is perhaps just another unnecessary string to my yoke, a burden to my works asked of me by God. Works not that I might be saved, but works due to the love that is God's. It is an effort sometimes, ah!, a lot of the time it is my burden, though light and yes easy. Yet I fret to unlove, to hate, to sin. In my frettings are the works left to me?

Last edited:

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

The idea that we owe nothing, with the implication that it is all done for us becauseJesus has already paid the bill has been given as a truth since the Reformation.

Although many claim it as truth few can live by it. So if it is part of the burden made light, a yoke made easy... it don't seem to fit the sheep because it has not made men or women, it's so called saints, gentle and lowly of heart and rested in the blessing that is redemption. Like it is with society in general, that 20 percent suffer from mental illness at any given time, could it be the same with spiritual illness a percentage of some kind?

I would sort of ask why does the Gospel constantly need to be "stringed" to saints that have already known and been captured by the Gospel? This is very different than presenting the Gospel to people who have heard the message but have not received the simple blessing of a burden light and an easy yoke.

Now yoked by the ties of Christ, and to those works that are my Lord's directives for me, why would I need the strings and spins of a revival tomorrow or new ties to my yoke? Is this from God? Or from men? And I have to wonder if the idea of owing nothing is perhaps just another unnecessary string to my yoke, a burden to my works asked of me by God. Works not that I might be saved, but works due to the love that is God's. It is an effort sometimes, ah!, a lot of the time it is my burden, though light and yes easy.

Perhaps the joy of the one who realizes the debt has been paid yields the fruit of giving all for His sake! Perhaps!!!

Israel

BANNED

Although many claim it as truth few can live by it. So if it is part of the burden made light, a yoke made easy... it don't seem to fit the sheep because it has not made men or women, it's so called saints, gentle and lowly of heart and rested in the blessing that is redemption. Like it is with society in general, that 20 percent suffer from mental illness at any
given time, could it be the same with spiritual illness a percentage of some kind?

Now yoked by the ties of Christ, and to those works that are my Lord's directives for me, why would I need the strings and spins of a revival tomorrow or new ties to my yoke? Is this from God? Or from men? And I have to wonder if the idea of owing nothing is perhaps just another unnecessary string to my yoke, a burden to my works asked of me by God. Works not that I might be saved, but works due to the love that is God's. It is an effort sometimes, ah!, a lot of the time it is my burden, though light and yes easy. Yet I fret to unlove, to hate, to sin. In my frettings are the works left to me?

Can it be the inexpressible that only the poet knows? (or, if not only...knows so well?)

That struggle is also the chiefest of joys? To be made able...to be about something?

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I'm reminded of the parable of the prodigal son. It shows us who God excepts. The brother who stayed and obeyed? He resented his Father's mercy.

This is as much as message about this brother as the returning brother. He actually resented his Father's mercy.