Gas or Electric (House Build)

1gr8bldr

Thinking if we go all electric, we'll definitely have a generator for backup.
Generac seems to be the best for residential. It will crank itself to keep it from sitting to long. They have "smart" generators that monitor loads prioritizing loads, etc. About $7000 to run a 3000 sqft house.... something about like that if I recall.

RedRyder

Sorry if this has already been said. I tried to scan thru all the post.

On your HVAC you can have both. It's called a duel fuel system.
Heat pumps are really only efficient down to around 35 degrees. You can get a system that will operate the heat pump until the outside ambient temp is below 35 then it switches to propane/natural gas. The upfront cost will be more but it's a good system.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
If I can help it I will never live in a home without both gas and electric. I want a gas stove and at the very least gas logs for a source of heat if I ever need them.

This is what I did when I built. Gas water heater to. Not propane. I have 2 direct vent fireplaces also. They turn off and on with a light switch. I checked the other day when power was out to see if they work without electricity and they do. I did a heat pump with electric backup for heat. I can't say about propane but it sounds like several on here have some good advice. Good luck with your build

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Sorry if this has already been said. I tried to scan thru all the post.

On your HVAC you can have both. It's called a duel fuel system.
Heat pumps are really only efficient down to around 35 degrees. You can get a system that will operate the heat pump until the outside ambient temp is below 35 then it switches to propane/natural gas. The upfront cost will be more but it's a good system.

The fans won't work without power. If it's in the budget, set up for generator power even if you buy the gen. later and this system would be good. Someone said gas heat is warmer. Not true. 75 degrees is 75 degrees no matter the source. Gas heat is dryer. If your gas furnace runs a lot you'll want to hydrate the air

Old Winchesters

I have lived in several regions and for me I think total electric is just fine if your in South Ga. Mid ga I would have Electric appliances and gas stove. North metro to North Ga I would have the same plus wood burning fireplace. My .02

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I have everything gas in the house I could get, with wood burning fireplace for a backup.

When the power was out recently, we could still cook and had hot water. If she had needed to, my wife could have dried clothes too.

Gas is much more efficient too.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
For heating, the heat pump is not that great. We disconnected ours and use fire logs for the main part of the house. Get a set with a thermostat. And we use small electric heaters for the bedroom. I did go with an electric water heater because of the rebates at the time, basically free because I installed myself. As far as the rest, you'll get faster and warmer heat with gas. Pros and cons for gas and electric is winter rates on gas, summer rates on electric. The advantage on gas is most companies will let you pre-pay in advance for gas. Usually late August is the lowest price here, so I fill up from my last pre-pay, and pre-pay for the next tank. I only use one tank per year. If I do happen to need the gas in the winter months when is high, I've already bought it a lot cheaper!

Barfolomew

My dad built a house in a similar predicament on the utilities.

He chose:
- Electric range, oven, dryer and water heater
- Heat pump with propane back up when the temperature outside is 45 or below.

The main issue with heat pumps is that they stop working once below a certain temperature, so they need some sort of back up, either gas or electric strip heaters. Gas tends to be cheaper than electricity for this application and with it being the back up only, you'll only need it filled/topped off about once a year.