Why is it

Possum

Banned
I planted before hurricane, got 3". Everything came up great and looked perfect. Now it's been 10 days of no rain and nothing in forecast for next couple weeks. Hope that we get a stray pop up shower sometime soon.
I saved a bag of red clover that I will overseed next time good rain is in forecast just in case some of what germinated dries up and dies.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I planted before hurricane, got 3". Everything came up great and looked perfect. Now it's been 10 days of no rain and nothing in forecast for next couple weeks. Hope that we get a stray pop up shower sometime soon.
I saved a bag of red clover that I will overseed next time good rain is in forecast just in case some of what germinated dries up and dies.

Same here but with that much rain down deep where it counts there is still plenty of moisture in the soil.

At least that's my plan and I'm sticking to it.:bounce:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I'm going to hunt at Elfiii's this year.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Canuck5

LOL, I just assumed since you gave the deer a break last year, that venison would be abundant!

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I planted a couple of days before Irma came through. Mine are up about 3 to 4 inches right now. Some clover us pushing 6. Now waiting on the next rain fall.

davidhelmly

Yes, October is historically the driest month but it's usually a lot cooler and the soil moisture will last longer.

Also, if that is why you plant early, wouldn't you need to also worry about your young plants burning up in October?

We are an archery club and plant early to have food to hunt over in early season and see tons of deer early because of it. What happens in October is something I can't control so I don't sweat it and have never had problems with plots burning up then but with it being the driest month of the year I'm not going to wait until then or after to plant if I can help it.
If October planting works for you and that's what you prefer then that's when you need to plant, it just doesn't work for us. :cheers:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
LOL, I just assumed since you gave the deer a break last year, that venison would be abundant!

From your lips to God's ears.::; The trail cam results the last 30 days have not been promising. I had 2 decent bachelor groups that were regular regulars but as soon as I planted they disappeared.

Canuck5

That happens on our property too ...... but they always show up a little later! :D Mostly at night, but ..... :D

Core Lokt

I used to plant in Sept. but not for the last 4-5 yrs plant the last weekend in Oct. I changed for a couple reasons. 1- by the time the deer really started using them the plots were too high and not palatable for them. 2- When rifle season starts there is still way too much natural food in the woods. I won't have green plots for the first couple weeks of season but I'll have plots the rest of the season when the natural food is mostly gone. Good luck.

deers2ward

I used to plant in Sept. but not for the last 4-5 yrs plant the last weekend in Oct. I changed for a couple reasons. 1- by the time the deer really started using them the plots were too high and not palatable for them. 2- When rifle season starts there is still way too much natural food in the woods....

Yep

I also think that for early planters, the difference is priorities/reasons people are planting. To hunt over is usually #1...whether that is because they don't have mast bearing trees, or because that is their strategy.

Having the vast majority of my land in 75+ yr old red and white oaks, my #1 is to bridge the gap between acorns and spring green up. #2 is in hopes that it will increase the amount of time deer spend on my land instead of the neighbors. To hunt over is a side effect, but not why I do it.

DMCox

Yep

I also think that for early planters, the difference is priorities/reasons people are planting. To hunt over is usually #1...whether that is because they don't have mast bearing trees, or because that is their strategy.

Having the vast majority of my land in 75+ yr old red and white oaks, my #1 is to bridge the gap between acorns and spring green up. #2 is in hopes that it will increase the amount of time deer spend on my land instead of the neighbors. To hunt over is a side effect, but not why I do it.

My reason for planting early is so that I can spend the time in the woods hunting later in the season when it's more enjoyable to be in the tree stand. I get limited trips to my property and would rather spend a weekend in September planting than a weekend in October or November. Our deer start using our plots the moment they pop up whether there are acorns/muscadines/persimmons or not. Usage does decrease while acorns are consistently dropping, but they are still in the plots daily. I plant my plots to hopefully hold deer longer on my small piece of property and get a chance at deer staging before heading out to larger ag fields. Ideally I would have a tractor and be able to plant in a couple hours, but I don't have the funds for that so I plant with an old sears garden tractor. It takes me 7-8 hours to get our 5 plots done. I'd love to go no till, but again timing on getting to the property to spray and come back and spread and mow just doesn't work. So every year I'm just left praying for rain along with what seems to be a pretty good amount of other people.

deers2ward

My reason for planting early is so that I can spend the time in the woods hunting later in the season when it's more enjoyable to be in the tree stand. I get limited trips to my property and would rather spend a weekend in September planting than a weekend in October or November. Our deer start using our plots the moment they pop up whether there are acorns/muscadines/persimmons or not. Usage does decrease while acorns are consistently dropping, but they are still in the plots daily. I plant my plots to hopefully hold deer longer on my small piece of property and get a chance at deer staging before heading out to larger ag fields. Ideally I would have a tractor and be able to plant in a couple hours, but I don't have the funds for that so I plant with an old sears garden tractor. It takes me 7-8 hours to get our 5 plots done. I'd love to go no till, but again timing on getting to the property to spray and come back and spread and mow just doesn't work. So every year I'm just left praying for rain along with what seems to be a pretty good amount of other people.

I hear ya Bud! I live 6 hours away from my land and work 60 hrs/week for the man.

I envy people who can walk out their back door......one day....

DMCox

It's looking like rain this weekend and next week! Someone keep their rain dance up it might just work!

DMCox

Headed to the lease this weekend. Looks like we may have gotten about 1-1.5" total since planting 6 weeks ago. Hopefully between that and the dew in the mornings they're doing ok. I can't wait to see what they're looking like.