Question for experienced hunter

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
On a deer walking away from you?

All day long. Walking away also includes quartering away shots. Doesn't have to mean dead center and tail facing you. 250 yards is not that far unless you are shooting open sights and a muzzleloader.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I wouldn't consider him "ran off". But they also don't do a good job of being in the same spot every day. Toss-up. All you can do is keep after it.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Lols at some responses.
He will be back. Maybe sooner than u think.
Just because some can hit golf balls at 250 does make it a chip shot for everyone. Texas brain is a dead deer. I have put it though the guy behind last rib out other shoulder. These shots are not for the novice. I have let very grown bucks walk even thou I could of put one thru both Hams and broke it down to finish it. I be had to finish off kill shots that went a little stray for some unknown reason.
My advice for the novice is to wait for a better than average shot or don’t shoot. A deer with one leg shot off is hard to recover even with a dog. That dog had better be a real go getter. Hind leg is the hardest. They can almost run as fast as normal. Front will throw it off.
Think about after the shot and recovery factor also.

The deer will be back.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
My advice for the novice .

My advice..

Hit the range a lot more and get comfortable with any shot you may encounter. Practice left & right handed, in awkward positions, off of shooting sticks, up against a tree and run in place before shooting. Practice your breathing..

kgarrison

I'm a pretty good high stress shooter. I have to qualify every year with a rifle and pistol for my job. The problem this time was that the deer was only there for a split second and I barley had time to find him in the glass. I should not have taken the shot. I've been hitting myself for trying. It's a mistake I don't plan on making again.

I don't have the luxury to afford a hunting club. I only hunt public land Whitfield, Chatooga, and Walker counties. Seeing deer in these public lands are hard. This was the first and biggest I have seen this year. I got impatient and took a shot I should not have.

We live and learn.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
My advice..

Hit the range a lot more and get comfortable with any shot you may encounter. Practice left & right handed, in awkward positions, off of shooting sticks, up against a tree and run in place before shooting. Practice your breathing..

I squirrel and rabbit hunted as a kid every chance I had with a 22.
I can shoot either handed. Heck I can shoot 2 rifles at the same time. Can’t really hit anything. But I look cool doing it.