This time of yr is cotton attractive at all to deer?

Mexican Squealer

I hunted a cotton field two weeks ago. Sat evening I saw 13 deer and Sun am I saw 11. They were absolutely devouring some type of browse or food source in the field. I'd like to know exactly what they were eating.

BassHunter25

Ive heard of deer eating cotton seed and its supposed to be really good for them. I saw farmers letting cows graze in a cut cotton field recently as well

Gumpbuck

Um.... I think they like it just fine......

Take a close look at my pic from Sunday...

Seriously, I think they are feeding on the few green leaves that were near the bases of the stalks. I had plenty of deer in the field just before they harvested and still plenty just after they harvested. I think they like the security of how high stalks are.

My question will be if they still want to come out after the stalks have been mowed down to the ground. Because the farmer just did that today.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1510660834262.jpg
    FB_IMG_1510660834262.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 1,290

Buckstop

Cotton fields have been combined and mowed on our place for about a month. There are new young green leaves sprouting out from the remaining stalks. The deer are pounding them right now. I expect it will continue till the first frost.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
I know of a ranch in west Texas that feed cotton seed instead of protein pellets. They kill some absolute monsters there every year.

iconz23

I agree. We've ve seen more deer hunting over cotton this year than we ever did hunting planted pines...

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Cotton is good in all stages for deer hunting. But after it's been defoliated, it may not be.... I'll let someone who knows more vouch for defoliated cotton field, but in all other stages you can count on it.

Ihunt

Cotton is good in all stages for deer hunting. But after it's been defoliated, it may not be.... I'll let someone who knows more vouch for defoliated cotton field, but in all other stages you can count on it.

They love it just the same. It's Georgia's version of CRP fields.

leftystar

where I hunt they rotate cotton and peanuts and I always see more deer in cotton. It sucks when its high cotton but they will eat parts of the cotton plant. Even the bowl before it opens.

kbare77

All of u probably have more experience than I hunting cotton. But I can tell u where i was hunting, those deer had no interest whatsoever in that cotton for whatever reason.

spencer12

Yeah cotton fields in the right location can be magic. Usually they eat the green browse that grows with the cotton. I've had a lot of success hunting cotton fields.