GON Magazine | GON Classifieds

Go Back   Georgia Outdoor News Forum > Firearms > Firearms, Reloading and Scopes

Old 03-28-2009, 06:55 PM
Default Is a Wingmaster worth the extra $$$ over the Express?

Are the differences really just aesthetic, or does Remington cut enough corners on the manufacturing side to make the Wingmaster worth the extra money?
Old 03-28-2009, 07:13 PM

I would say yes. My wingmaster has engraving, high polish blue and a light countour barrel. It seems to swing naturally and I can hit the side of the barn with it. I had a hard time hitting anything with my express.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:45 PM

you get better internals with the wingmaster also. The express has some plastic parts.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

I own 2 LH Wingmasters and 2 870 Express guns. I paid to have the Express guns made "right" ......the Wingmasters were right from the box.

Big difference in internal parts and craftsmanship.....
Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 PM
Exclamation

YES!!!!!!!

Get the Wingmaster!

It has a MUCH better finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:23 PM

I like both, but the wingmaster is a nicer gun. Depends on what you want to do with it though. You will never see the wingmaster in the bottom of the boat during duckseason in the rain, the express however with the synthetic stock will be there every time.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:27 AM
Possum Sox

I have both in several gauges, the wingmasters seem a bit smoother but I have never had a problem with the express either
Old 03-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Banned

I have owned and sold two Wingmaster's. I almost kept the last, because it was the smoothest pump I've ever cycled. I've owned about 8 different Express's now. At the moment, I still have 4 of them. I hope to make that 1 less tomorrow. I love them and really don't see a difference. Personally, I wouldn't pay more for a WM because I like matte finish guns with black synthetic stocks. My guns aren't showpieces. They're game killers.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 AM

I have owned a few examples of each. Have had a few Express's that were rough out of the box, but none that were not functional. The trigger housing on the Exp is plastic, but it's probably more durable than the investment-cast aluminum one on the Wingmaster. With judicious use of a fine stone and cycling/shooting many times, the Exp can be made into a purty slick gun. As for the Exp finish, there's not much to that "parkerized" (yeah, right!) finish. Ballistol is your friend. That finish seems to soak it up like a sponge.

Years ago, I actually took an Exp & gobbed toothpaste on all the wearing surfaces and cycled it about a million times while I watched an old John Wayne movie. I was young and bored at the time. When done, I disassembled it and cleaned the crap out of it. Believe it or not, that gun was very slick after that.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:26 PM

Jeff I always burnish oil into my firearms. I find that just handling them will get rust coming up pretty quick but if I burnish the oil in I don't have to worry bout someone touching a firearm bare handed.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Default Wingmaster

I prefer the Wingmaster or a BPS over the Express. In my experience, the express is not nearly as smooth.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_racin_fan View Post
Jeff I always burnish oil into my firearms. I find that just handling them will get rust coming up pretty quick but if I burnish the oil in I don't have to worry bout someone touching a firearm bare handed.
You should really try the Ballsitol. I'm not a chemist, but it seems to "soak" into the metal, especially a rough or parkerized finish. When done, there's not an oily film left over either. It's good, good stuff.