• which one.jpg
    which one.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 831

j_seph

those are a pair of those messndrawers snakus'

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nerodia water snake on the left, moccasin on the right.

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I'd call the one on the left a Red Bellied Water Snake and the one on the right a Cottonmouth, Watermoccasin, Spawn of Satan X-Wife snake.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The one on the left is a water snake in a classic defensive stance and the one on the right is a cottonmouth.

HermanMerman

The differences I see are the water snake has distinctive yellow/orange stripes, while the cottonmouth has more defined black stripes. Also, it looks like the cottonmouth has black stripes on his cheeks. Are these good ways to identify each from one another? If not, what are the best ways to determine one from the other?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The differences I see are the water snake has distinctive yellow/orange stripes, while the cottonmouth has more defined black stripes. Also, it looks like the cottonmouth has black stripes on his cheeks. Are these good ways to identify each from one another? If not, what are the best ways to determine one from the other?

Watersnakes have vertical stripes across the sides of their jaws, round pupils, and different color patterns than a cottonmouth. Cottonmouths have an band across the eyes, elliptical pupils, and with practice you can tell each at a glance.

ryanh487

The eye band is the dead give away on the cottonmouth. Water snakes typically have a longer, more slender/tapered tail past the vent while moccasins are short and stubbier. Females of both will have fatter tails than males, but the tail is still distinct and longer on the water snake.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Good lesson...
I thought I had never seen a water moccasin that wasn't dull gray, dull black, or black.
Makes me wonder about all those water snakes that I weren't scared of. Seen a few that were aggressive enough to chase my fishing lures back towards the boat...:hair:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Doesn't a moccasins swim with his head up above the water a couple of inches? Watersnake swims with his head in the water?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Good lesson...
I thought I had never seen a water moccasin that wasn't dull gray, dull black, or black.
Makes me wonder about all those water snakes that I weren't scared of. Seen a few that were aggressive enough to chase my fishing lures back towards the boat...:hair:

Like this one, as opposed to the dull colored one?

Ironically, these two were about 40 yards apart, the bright one I gt the shot from one of my deerstands in early November, and the dull colored one in February. It had come out to sun on the log after a night that had been in the high 20s.

The bottom pic is just one to play with.

Attachments

• bad5.jpg
    bad5.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 629
  • fav2.jpg
    fav2.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 629
  • treesnake.jpg
    treesnake.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 628