Wind checkers

Fishin & Hunting

Been making some DIY squirt bottle wind checkers. I have tried flour as my powder. Is there a better powder to use in them?

Thanks

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

I tell ya a little secret that has worked for me for a lot of years. I still hunt hogs on public land and everybody knows how good there nose is. I quit fooling with the bottles years ago. Go find you one of them old squeeze change holders like the older people put in their pockets. They have a slit cut thru the middle of one side. Squeeze it open and fill it up with the head of a cattail reed. It will last for years and when you pull a piece out and let the wind grab it, you can see it in the wind for a long ways. Their getting harder to find, old hardware stores have them and some wal-marts have them in the pharmacy section. I give away a lot of them to guys who hunt like me. .79 cents :flag:

Hillbilly stalker

Here is one. You can run a cord thru it and run it around your wrist also. You can track it in the wind farther than the talc powder they use.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 1,097

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you're using the powder ones, baking powder will work much better than flour.

Fishin & Hunting

Thanks for all the replies. Will give them all a try

james243

Cut off about 6 inches of para cord then take out the plies of cord from inside the outer sheath. From one of the plies I take perhaps 10 individual fibers and glue or tape them to the weapon I'm hunting with for a permanent and continuous indicator of wind direction

Hunter922

Unscented dental floss.

Jack Ryan

Been making some DIY squirt bottle wind checkers. I have tried flour as my powder. Is there a better powder to use in them?

Thanks

Dog fur in a film canister and a thread on the end of my barrel is what I use.

Jack Ryan

I tell ya a little secret that has worked for me for a lot of years. I still hunt hogs on public land and everybody knows how good there nose is. I quit fooling with the bottles years ago. Go find you one of them old squeeze change holders like the older people put in their pockets. They have a slit cut thru the middle of one side. Squeeze it open and fill it up with the head of a cattail reed. It will last for years and when you pull a piece out and let the wind grab it, you can see it in the wind for a long ways. Their getting harder to find, old hardware stores have them and some wal-marts have them in the pharmacy section. I give away a lot of them to guys who hunt like me. .79 cents :flag:

That change holder is a GENIUS idea there. :fine:

7Mag Hunter

I use a 4-5 oz squeeze bottle, with carpenters line chalk....comes in
different colors ( i use blue)...Fill the bottle about 1/3 full and
give the bottle a shake and a couple of squeezes and you know instantly which direction of the wind ..

Ben Athens

I use a piece of white thread about 8 to 10 inches long. I unscrew the broadhead put the end in there then screw it back on. I also tape a piece to my rifle barrel.

goshenmountainman

When I am in the mid west I use milkweed, comes in its own carry case and your can watch it for at least thirty yards. Floats on the currents better than anything I ever saw. I have never seen it in Georgia around here and I don't use it here, don't want another weed I will have to get rid of in the hay fields.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
When I am in the mid west I use milkweed, comes in its own carry case and your can watch it for at least thirty yards. Floats on the currents better than anything I ever saw. I have never seen it in Georgia around here and I don't use it here, don't want another weed I will have to get rid of in the hay fields.

This. I bought myself a milkweed plant (asclepias tuberosa aka butterfly weed) at Pikes and planted by my mailbox. I pull off the pods and let them dry in a brown paper bag on the dash of my truck. You can pull several hunting seasons worth of fibers in one year.

Gaswamp

tag