Fruit Cake Time

BriarPatch99

My cake pan stuck around the edges .... I gave it a good shot of Captain Morgan's and wrapped it up for a few days !!! Couple weeks and it'll ready .... the crumbs sure was good!!

T-N-T

I like fruitcake once every year or two. It aint bad if it stays moist

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I cut up 13 lbs of fruit today and set it to soaking up some spirits. Will be breaking up about the same amount of pecans early next week. Baking day will be the 27th this year. I do love me some fruitcake.

Redbow

Good looking fruitcake..My Grandmother used to make a good one, wish I had her recipe but it was lost when she died in 1964...

BriarPatch99

Redbow ... I'll be glad to share this recipe ... It was my Grandmother 's .... She died in 1953 ... so it has been around for a long time....

May take me a little ...

Big7

The Oracle
I'd like to have that recipe?

My Daddy loved fruit cake.

Be our family's first Christmas without him.

Artfuldodger

I cut up 13 lbs of fruit today and set it to soaking up some spirits. Will be breaking up about the same amount of pecans early next week. Baking day will be the 27th this year. I do love me some fruitcake.

My wife makes a good one. It's her Mom's recipe.
Anyway, I'd like to make one going back in time to maybe the way the would have made one when the Pilgrims got here. Maybe something in between then and now.

I do want to soak the fruit in rum. Here is what I have so far and then I thought i'd use my wife's recipe for the cake part such as the flour, butter, eggs, etc. Then put the ingredients below in it.

Fruitcake ingredients

3 cup hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, and almonds - chopped
1 1/2 pounds of an assortment of dried fruits (dried apricots, figs, date, etc.), candied and chopped mixed peel, and glace cherries - chopped into bite size pieces. Candied pineapple.

3/4 pound of an assortment of raisins, sultanas, currants, dried cranberries and/or cherries.

4 whole cloves, ground
6 allspice berries, ground
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely
Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely
1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped
1 cup spiced rum
1 cup apple juice

Combine dried fruits, candied ginger, pineapple, and both zests. Add rum and macerate overnight.
Place fruit and liquid in a non-reactive pot with the sugar, butter, apple juice and spices. Bring mixture to a boil stirring often, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.

BriarPatch99

Sprinkle a couple ozs. of good rum over it for three/four days after cooking ....keep tightly rapped in aluminium foil for at least a week after cooking ... It only gets better until it disappears !

Oh ...line your own with was paper ... This is a step I failed to do with the cake in the poster photo ....

We use the "candied" fruit that come in round tubs ....