Educational books

mike bell

Any recommended educational books of soil and food plots?

I just received my first two books from John O'Brion. "From Soil to Success" & "The Perfect Acre" Looking forward to start reading them this weekend.

I want to get a little serious and not waste money on plots anymore. Just getting started but, Ive learned a lot from watching YouTube videos and the online facebook groups. And GON/Woodys' also :cool:

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I think the best book you will read, will be the one you "write" about your property and your experience.

Get your soil test done first, read and understand it and spend this summer amending your soil and getting weeds and grasses under control, for a fall planting. Getting your soil right (which can take 6 months or more) is the first step and once you do that, you can grow a lot of great food for deer, if you have enough food plot acreage to handle the deer pressure. If you lack enough acreage, then you'll find Clover is King.

I quit planting summer food plots and have gone to as close to year round clover as I can, because after planting 5 acres of iron and clay cowpeas, which got wiped out after emergence, I soon figured out how much money I wasted and watched the weeds take over.

If you have lots of acreage, lots of money, the right equipment, you can have great summer plots, but I'm not in the category.

Get your soil right first and you'll find that you grow deer from the dirt. A great place to start.

How many acres of food plots do you have? Budget? What equipment? Do you own the land? How much time can you spend there? Size of food plots? Deer density?

My suggestion would be to start simple and invest your first years time and energy in to the soil, which will open up your options in years to come. Don't try to drink from a fire hose.

Attachments

• Top 10 Liming Questions.JPG
    Top 10 Liming Questions.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Top 10 Liming Questions2.JPG
    Top 10 Liming Questions2.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Top 10 liming questions3.JPG
    Top 10 liming questions3.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 53

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !