Versatility of Specialty?

CaptainSolo

Alright, so this is a topic that I debate with my fishing buddies quite often. As it relates to both tournament and/or recreational fishing, what do you think makes a better angler- versatility or utilizing a narrow skill set or strength?

It is my belief that focusing on your strengths will make you a better angler, but at the same time you really cant expect to be a consistent performer if you dont also have a variety of strengths. I like to think that if you have several solid strengths that you can use to fish in different conditions, but I have experienced some terrible days on the water trying to be too versatile and deviating from my strengths. I dont necessarily consider a strength a certain technique, but it could also be a type of cover someone likes fishing best, shallow or deep water, or even a certain water clearity.

I would like to hear your perspective on what you think makes a better angler. What do ya'll think?

Also, what kind of fishery do you prefer to fish? Shallow cover, or deep structure?

Attachments

• Lanier.jpg
    Lanier.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 71