McGraw Ford WMA?

Slowmow24

For those who may know the right way to go about this. I am trying to find out basic information like where the check in station is? And for those who do hunt this area, is it over hunted meaning like other wma's. I just dont want to encroach on a ton of people and also trying not to run into any problems that I have heard from other hunters experience that were told to me. Any help or direction would be great. Thanks

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I say go...........check it out for yourself! Check out the maps online and print out the free WMA maps........Do you research before you get there.
I went there once or twice a few years back. Seems like it could be a daunting challenge of a walk, but there was a nice riverside section too. Check station is right on 372

An old cemetery along the way may have you wanting to stop and check it out.......very cool
This WMA is a strange cut of land from what I remember, but its worth spending the day. You may find things I didn't, but I was looking more for hog sign than anything:D

Lots of houses around and that may be a good thing...........I know the Deer behind my house are not that spooked and will give you a broadside shot all day.

I drove through Ballground the other day and wished I had time to stop when I saw the sign..........I didnt though:cry:

Last edited:

35 Whelen

McGRAW FORD WMA
A
2,255 acres • 706.295.6041
DEER
ARCHERY
Sign-In once for the season.
» Either Sex: Sept. 9-Dec. 3 | Dec.
26-Jan. 1
BEAR
ARCHERY
Sign-In once for the season.
» Sept. 9-Dec. 3 | Dec. 26-Jan. 1
TURKEY
Mar. 24-May 15 s
SMALL GAME
Aug. 15-Feb. 28
DOVE
Sept. 2-17, Oct. 14-Nov. 2, Nov. 23-
Jan. 15
WATERFOWL
Statewide season.
SPECIAL REGS
Horse and bicycle trails and areas
are closed before 10:00 a.m. during
deer, bear, and turkey seasons.
No ATVs
DIRECTIONS
From Ballground From jct. of Bus.
HWY 5 and HWY 372 travel 2.1 miles
east to Sign-In on right across from
intersection with Conns Creek Rd.

Gerrik

Check in station is just over the river, but you can just check in online. It's got some pretty slots along the river, but it's also within 45 minutes of the metro area. It's gets a lot of attention from bow hunters. That being said, I've gone & not seen a soul while I was out there. Other times I've passed guys as I walked the roads, to my chosen spot.

DMCox

I'd recommend staying away from the dove fields. There is a ton of deer sign throughout those fields, but in all the times I've walked those fields for doves, hunted turkey, and deer hunted I've never seen a deer in daylight out there. I have however seen a few deer on the ridges before you make it to the fields from the check station. You'll see a good amount of hunters out there, but so far everyone I've run into has been really nice. Like any public land do a lot of scouting and be prepared to spend a good many sits without seeing deer/having people walk up on you. It's a pretty area, but it's also an area dragging a deer out of can be a daunting task. Enjoy it!