Stevens Model 200 .308 project with pics (56k beware)

Xzuatl

WOW! That looks AWESOME!! :clap: :cool: What kinda paint did you use on the rifle? You did an awesome job!!! :cheers:

Thanks! I used Rust-Oleum MultiColor Textured spray paint. I used a primer on the stock that is made for plastic, the barrel\receiver I just degreased and sprayed as is. This is the first time using this flavor of Rust-Oleum, but I like the effect. The technique I use is to do several thin layers and give each enough time to cure.

I have two more colors to add, but they will go on once I have the rifle reassembled.

Xzuatl

Update: Finished the bedding prep, bedded the rifle and will let it sit over night.

SmokyMtnSmoke

That thing is coming to life. That paint looks great. I used it on the stock of my 110 30-06.

I'm leaning toward Aluma Hyde in dark gray to paint my .308 I'm hoping to do it this summer.

Xzuatl

That thing is coming to life. That paint looks great. I used it on the stock of my 110 30-06.

I'm leaning toward Aluma Hyde in dark gray to paint my .308 I'm hoping to do it this summer.

The hard part (the bedding) is now done. The tricky part will be the camo scheme. The multi color paint (brown w/ honey flecks) I choose looks great as a single color, but now I worry that the other two colors (green and tan) with the honey flecks will make it look too washed out. I have do a test run on a sheet of ply and I think I have a plan. Normally I used pretty narrow bands of different colors to make a pattern, but I think big blobs ala US Army woodland camo will look great. We shall see.... :p

Xzuatl

Well I am done. :banana: I plan on putting more detail into the first post, but that will have to wait a bit. Anyway here is the before:

stevens-2.jpg

And after...

20080607006.jpg

SmokyMtnSmoke

WOW! That turned out AWESOME! Now that is an inspiration for me to get to work on mine. I look forward to seeing your next range report after that bedding and added weight. BTW have you weighed it? I'd be interested in how much weight you added to it.

OK so when dou you want me to drop mine off for her transformation ;).

Good job. A big thumbs up. ;)

Xzuatl

WOW! That turned out AWESOME! Now that is an inspiration for me to get to work on mine. I look forward to seeing your next range report after that bedding and added weight. BTW have you weighed it? I'd be interested in how much weight you added to it.

OK so when dou you want me to drop mine off for her transformation ;).

Good job. A big thumbs up. ;)

Thanks! It was much easier than I expected. I hope to get to the range sometime this week to give her a test run. Also, I haven't weigh it yet, but it felt about 2 lbs heavier.

And you had better hold on to your rifle, I don't plan on doing this again for a while. :)

SnowHunter

WOWOWOW!!! :cool: That rifle looks awesome! Ya did a GREAT job X!! :cheers: I'll be interested to hear how it shoots with the added weight.

:fine:

Xzuatl

WOWOWOW!!! :cool: That rifle looks awesome! Ya did a GREAT job X!! :cheers: I'll be interested to hear how it shoots with the added weight.

:fine:

Thanks. I'll be hitting the range Saturday and will post a range report.

Xzuatl

I finally got out to the range Monday to try out some 150gr Remington core-lokts PSPs and some 180gr Winchester Super X soft points. I had a heck of a time at the range nothing was shooting anything close to a good group. The 180s were just horrible, sometimes being on target sometimes falling 3 inches low. Eventually I figured out what was going on: gusting 12 - 13 mph tail winds.

So I had to decide whether to shoot while the wind was blowing or not. 80% of the time the wind was blowing so I choose to take the chance.

Here is the Remington Core-Lokt group.

[
target2.jpg

And the Winchester..

tartget3.jpg

Looks like the Remy 150s win this round. I think I will focus on 150s for the next round.

SmokyMtnSmoke

Super Sweet with those Remmy Core-Lokt 150 PSP's as factory ammo and a sweetened up Stevens 200.

If you get into re-loading you'll be able to find the right powder combination with those 180gn loads. Until then I'd just keep trying other factory loads to see what else she like to eat right off the shelf. I like simplicity, on a hunt you can't pack up your reloading bench and take it with you and if you travel there's always a big chance your ammo will get 'lost in transit". So what do you do then? Your then off to the local gun shop to buy some new ammo. Knowing that your rifle likes an 'off the shelf' flavor is reassuring and trusting that the manufacturer's tolerances in production will give you the confidence to make a purchase then check and tweek zero will let your hunt continue without worrying about where it's gonna hit when you do your part squeezing the trigger. (Dang that sounded like a commercial ;) )

You've just got to love it when that kind of performance comes at a such a low cost as well as the improvements at your own hands.

That, my friend, is satisfaction :fine:

SnowHunter

looks like it prefers those 150's!! :clap: Hopefully next time it aint so windy, but its nice to see that kinda group in not so good conditions :cheers:

bighonkinjeep

Looks like meat in the freezer to me.You might try some 165/168gr bullets when ya get a chance.. My 1-10 twist .30s love em. How much difference did the wire make for ya?

Xzuatl

Looks like meat in the freezer to me.You might try some 165/168gr bullets when ya get a chance.. My 1-10 twist .30s love em. How much difference did the wire make for ya?

I have some 168gr federal sierra game kings to try out next range session. I want to get some barnes triple shocks to go along with them. Blackhills and cor-bon make 168s and federal makes a 165. I have never tried blackhills. I used 150gr sp cor-bons in my sks to take my 1st whitetail. Federal has always been good to me. So I guess it will a toss up as to what I pick next.

The new wire spring worked out great! It really lightened up the trigger and took that issue out of my accuracy equation. I think the trigger now almost the perfect hunting trigger. It has a tiny bit of creep, but I like to think of it as an added safety feature. I may get a SSS trigger in the future, but it wont be out of necessity.