Cherokee County points

Greetings Folks -

Ive been reading y'alls posts for a while now and have learned a bunch about a topic that Im very interested in - projectile points. We live in Cherokee Co near the Etowah and I have found the pictured points on a road cut bank near our place. Can you help me decipher what these points tell me about my neighborhood. As far as I can tell the larger point may be a Palmer side-notch and the little broken base may be a Dalton. Both are Archaeic so that means my neighbors predated me by 6-8,000 years. Is that true? What about the other broken bits of points? Also, the larger gnarly serrated point - is it possible that this was used to spear fish? These were found ~0.5 miles from a fish trap on the Etowah. Thanks!

Attachments

• Points.jpg
    Points.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 937

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, I'd call that one a Palmer, for certain if the base is ground. And the broken base looks like a possible Hardaway side-notch, pretty rare and old point. The others are just broken fragments, hard to say what they were. I doubt if any stone points were used to spear fish, that was likely and atlatl dart point for spearing big game and people. Fish points were usually just carved wood , cane or antler-no need for a stone point, and the binding would get wet and loosen anyway.

I have seen a few that came out of the river green area that are very similar, i grew up very near there & have found points all over the county. The mighty Etowah was the indians super hwy, lots & lots of history on, in, or around that river.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
The majority of what we find have been exhausted by rechipping to resharpen. Usually that means they were used as cutting implements.