Motorhome generator exhaust pipe extension

oops1

Buzzard Expert
Just got a new to me motorhome and took it to the lease for the first time last night. The smoke alarm and carbon monoxide alarm are pretty old but I replaced the batteries stayed out of it for a while. After about two hours by the campfire.. I heard the alarm going off. Reset it and tried again..same thing so I killed the generator and went without last night. I'm gonna update with new alarms on the next trip but found it odd that even with windows cracked and top vents open..the alarm still went off. Does anyone use an exhaust extension on their generator? Any recommendations for one or should I just replace the alarms and try again? Thanks for any help.

T-N-T

Could be the gerator
Could be the alarm

I had an co2 alarm go bad once and I just cut the wires to shut it up. Plug the unit it to shore power to see if the alarm goes off on its own.

You will have to likely fab up something for that bounder to get the exhaust to the top of the roof. You a smart feller though. Some pipe and a piece of flex pipe will get you on track.

My guess. New co2 censor will help out.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
pictures or it didn't happen.

oops1

Buzzard Expert

WayneB

dryer hose will work, the aluminized ones. Run straight up to roofline or higher if you can.

Lukikus2

My last motor home would do the same with the generator running. I guess the fumes were coming from the under carriage.

660griz

Did you open the window on the side with the exhaust? That could do it.
Before extending exhaust or replacing sensors, make sure you have no exhaust leaks from motor out.

WayneB

you would hear an exhaust leak if before the muffler, you may not hear it after.