The Case For Christ

smokey30725

Not when he wrote the book. Trust me, I didn't miss the point. Any of them. You have to read my post to know I knew he was a so called atheist. A not very informed atheist but...

I'm asking this out of a genuine desire to understand and not sarcasm. Where you reference that he was a "so-called atheist" and a "not very informed atheist", what all was it that he was lacking in his former non-believing stance on spirituality? Just curious and no disrespect intended.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Do I need to? You've already told me what I'm going to think about it.

Yes there are certainly one or two.

Looking back, as a young man I guess I felt I needed to voice an opinion on every subject. As and older man I find that was misguided at best and the older I get the less I find the need to opine (or maybe my knowledge base is just shrinking.) As to whether you should read the book, I wouldn't opine on it if I hadn't. I realize you haven't, and your comment was a comment r/t me. That's fine. It's fair. What I have a problem with is the off point ad hominem attacks on an author over a book they have obviously never read.

As to the your last s sentence. Touché.

jmharris23

Robert McNair Price (born July 7, 1954) is an American theologian and writer,[4] known for arguing against the existence of a historical Jesus (the Christ myth theory). He taught philosophy and religion at the Johnnie Colemon Theological Seminary.[5] He is a professor of biblical criticism at the Center for Inquiry Institute, and the author of a number of books on theology and the historicity of Jesus.

A former Baptist minister, he was the editor of the Journal of Higher Criticism from 1994 until it ceased publication in 2003. He has also written extensively about the Cthulhu Mythos, a "shared universe" created by the writer H. P. Lovecraft.[6] He also co-wrote a book with his wife, Carol Selby Price, Mystic Rhythms: The Philosophical Vision of Rush (1999), on the rock band Rush.

Price is a fellow of the Jesus Seminar, a group of 150 writers and scholars who study the historicity of Jesus, the organizer of a Web community for those interested in the history of Christianity,[7] and sits on the advisory board of the Secular Student Alliance.[3] He is a religious skeptic, especially of orthodox Christian beliefs, occasionally describing himself as a Christian atheist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_M._Price

I understand that many of you don't believe in Christ, I appreciate that you don't want to, and can see why you can't, but I have a hard time taking anyone who denies the historicity of Christ seriously. I think the evidence that he existed as a person is pretty overwhelming.

660griz

I'm asking this out of a genuine desire to understand and not sarcasm. Where you reference that he was a "so-called atheist" and a "not very informed atheist", what all was it that he was lacking in his former non-believing stance on spirituality? Just curious and no disrespect intended.

This is well known ploy to sell books...to Christians.

Strobel, himself, admitted he was not a well informed atheist. ""I had read just enough philosophy and history to find support for my skepticism - a fact here, a scientific theory there, a pithy quote, a clever argument"

Ever heard of the book "A Day in H3!!"?
Author was another supposed atheist that converted.
Christian Post: Can you tell us about your life before the accident? Did you believe in God?

Botsford: No, I did not believe in God. I knew God existed but I didn’t have a relationship with His son. During college I turned my back; I was my own boss kind of thing.
Huh? :)

WaltL1

I understand that many of you don't believe in Christ, I appreciate that you don't want to, and can see why you can't, but I have a hard time taking anyone who denies the historicity of Christ seriously. I think the evidence that he existed as a person is pretty overwhelming.
I'm being lazy for not finding this out myself but -
Is he denying the existence of a man referred to as Jesus who preached etc... or
Is he denying the whole shebang? Jesus never existed, the ENTIRE story is made up etc?

jmharris23

I'm being lazy for not finding this out myself but -
Is he denying the existence of a man referred to as Jesus who preached etc... or
Is he denying the whole shebang? Jesus never existed, the ENTIRE story is made up etc?

From what I read he denies the existence of a Jesus period....that he was completely made up.

ambush80

From what I read he denies the existence of a Jesus period....that he was completely made up.

As I understand it, he offers "Jesus" as a possible amalgam of personalities and individuals. That's a common concept among theologians.

jmharris23

As I understand it, he offers "Jesus" as a possible amalgam of personalities and individuals. That's a common concept among theologians.

Actually, its not that common.

"In modern scholarship, the Christ Myth Theory is a fringe theory, and is accepted by only a small number of academics. The Christ myth theory contradicts the mainstream historical view, which is that while the gospels include many mythical or legendary elements, these are religious elaborations added to the biography of a historical Jesus who did live in 1st-century Roman Palestine,[52][53][54][55][56][57][58] was baptized by John the Baptist and was crucified by the order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate.[59][60][61]

ambush80

Actually, its not that common.

"In modern scholarship, the Christ Myth Theory is a fringe theory, and is accepted by only a small number of academics. The Christ myth theory contradicts the mainstream historical view, which is that while the gospels include many mythical or legendary elements, these are religious elaborations added to the biography of a historical Jesus who did live in 1st-century Roman Palestine,[52][53][54][55][56][57][58] was baptized by John the Baptist and was crucified by the order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate.[59][60][61]

Where's that from? I'd like to read more.

jmharris23

Broken Tine

Understandably, this thread went off the rails a little. Just curious if any of you guys have seen the movie yet? What did you think? Comparable to the book? I'm planning on going with some friends to see it Monday night (4/17).

ambush80

Understandably, this thread went off the rails a little. Just curious if any of you guys have seen the movie yet? What did you think? Comparable to the book? I'm planning on going with some friends to see it Monday night (4/17).

I might watch the movie if it makes it to Redbox some day. I was uncompelled by the book nor by the credibility of the author.

Last edited: