Bad Camping Neighbors

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
rocky racoon was the worst neighbor I've ever had.Stole all the bacon and eggs before breakfast one morning.Lesson learned.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
rocky racoon was the worst neighbor I've ever had.Stole all the bacon and eggs before breakfast one morning.Lesson learned.

You need to come to the mountains and meet Yogi Bear and Skippy Skunk. Yogi will open your cooler, tent, or sometimes your car. Skippy will about snatch a burger out of your hand, and you can't chase him off like you can Rocky or Yogi.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You need to come to the mountains and meet Yogi Bear and Skippy Skunk. Yogi will open your cooler, tent, or sometimes your car. Skippy will about snatch a burger out of your hand, and you can't chase him off like you can Rocky or Yogi.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:I think I would find a more friendlier place to stay.I can handle rocky and yogi,but Skippy is a whole nother issue.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
:rofl::rofl::rofl:I think I would find a more friendlier place to stay.I can handle rocky and yogi,but Skippy is a whole nother issue.

I was eating a late dinner one night around the fire at Cades Cove. I had a sandwich in my hands and a paper towel in my lap with some potato chips on it. Skippy came into camp with his two buddies, Stripey and Stinky. I stood up to vacate the premise just as Skippy walked under my chair. As I stood, the chips fell to the ground between my legs. Skippy ate every last one of them right there between my feet. I don't think I breathed the whole time.

And I've had multiple coolers over the years that bore punctures from Yogi's teeth.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I was eating a late dinner one night around the fire at Cades Cove. I had a sandwich in my hands and a paper towel in my lap with some potato chips on it. Skippy came into camp with his two buddies, Stripey and Stinky. I stood up to vacate the premise just as Skippy walked under my chair. As I stood, the chips fell to the ground between my legs. Skippy ate every last one of them right there between my feet. I don't think I breathed the whole time.

And I've had multiple coolers over the years that bore punctures from Yogi's teeth.

Those tater chips put them at ease.

riprap

The only bad experiences we've had have been at tent only sites with no power. I normally sleep with a fan on so when it's quiet, I can hear a pin drop at 100 yrds. The tent won't muffle the noise of campers coming in late and popping a top till 12 or later. Most of the time, if there are issues, it's folks popping the top too many times. Most of the places we camp now are COE campgrounds and I can't hear anything over the A/C in the 5th wheel.

95g atl

Was camping in California as a teenager in a remote park. Other folks across from us reminded me of Hatfield's & McCoys. They were all friendly during the day, but once night came upon with the drinking, they were yelling and screaming at each other. Next came out their shotguns. No joking here. Yelling back and forth with shotguns pointed. Felt very uneasy. Soon after, what appeared to be Navy Seal folks came out of the darkness with weapons drawn. They restored order. Dang those guys can sneak up on you fast. I almost bumped into one with this gun pointed right at me. I did NOT sleep well that night.

----------------

Camped another time when I was around 20 (Yeah, in California). My friend decided to mingle with some other campers. He was chatting with a nice looking female. Next thing I knew they went for a walk in the woods. They were gone for awhile and the girl's brother and his friends confronted our group because his sister was missing with my friend. Threatening our group with violence if anything happened to her. ------ that's between YOU and HIM, not us.

They finally returned and the brother yelled and screamed at my friend, then took his sister back to their camp.

Really haven't been camping since..................

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There is quite a difference to me between camping and staying in a campground....

gunnurse

The worst experience for me was at Fall Creek Falls in Tennessee. There was a group or very intoxicated campers raising heck. Someone called the Park police. After they calmed them down and left it got worse.

There was a church group in a group lodge near the rabble rousers. Thinking that they were the ones that called them in, a three foot log was thrown through the lodge bedroom window and landed on some kids.

660griz

There was a church group in a group lodge near the rabble rousers. Thinking that they were the ones that called them in, a three foot log was thrown through the lodge bedroom window and landed on some kids.

Wow!
I am not sure what I would have done if that happened to me but, I may have gone to jail.

660griz

There is quite a difference to me between camping and staying in a campground....

So true.
I 'glamp' and camp. Both have their pros and cons. Some of the best times I have had were backpacking in and camping in remote wilderness. I did miss sitting in a comfy chair sipping on an adult beverage around the fire.

We use to go to Burrells Ford. Campground is only about a quarter mile from the parking lot but, it kept a lot of the rabble rousers at bay. Even then, we kinda 'glamped' Several trips back up the hill to get coolers, chairs. One time I took a furniture dolly so I could make less trips.

So far, I have been pretty lucky. Campgrounds or wilderness have been pretty uneventful. However, I usually never camp when every one else does. Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th, etc. Too many folks for me and kind of defeats the purpose of getting away from it all. :)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The worst experience for me was at Fall Creek Falls in Tennessee. There was a group or very intoxicated campers raising heck. Someone called the Park police. After they calmed them down and left it got worse.

Wow!
I am not sure what I would have done if that happened to me but, I may have gone to jail.

Agreed with the above. I too may have reacted in an unpleasant manner in a case like the kids getting hunt. IMO folks who want to get drunk and carry on should do so somewhere besides a public campground. There are reasons for the published and posted rules.

drippin' rock

I grabbed the last spot next to the river last year, and didn't notice the generator on our side of the camper next to us. We got set up and got a good fire going, and here comes dude cranking his gen. It was so loud we couldn't even talk. He ran it for 2 hours. His stupid excuse was the women folk needed showers. He did this again the next night for 3 hours right in the middle of us cooking and eating the trout we caught for dinner. I don't know what rights we have as campers, but if this happens again, I will be much less pleasant to whomever is doing this.

saltysenior

drunks, music, bathhouse trashing and generators have a all been a problem we have run into in the past....nowdays the most annoying people in the campgrounds are the kids who's parents (and grandparents) believe the campground is a day care center and let the kids run (or ride) amok..

Oldstick

drunks, music, bathhouse trashing and generators have a all been a problem we have run into in the past....nowdays the most annoying people in the campgrounds are the kids who's parents (and grandparents) believe the campground is a day care center and let the kids run (or ride) amok..

Well I kind of agree on the drunks and the bathhouse trashing. Maybe the generators depending on the setting and the time of day/night.

But if I was worried about kids, I would find some other hobby, or at least pick places where kids were not prevalent.

Kids and/or grand kids are the main reason many folks go camping.

And I see no harm in them exploring or riding bikes around the campground roads. As long as they don't cross or enter other's campsites without permission.

Jack Ryan

Do you know the difference between a campground and a trailer park?

T-N-T

Do you know the difference between a campground and a trailer park?

One is full of $15,000 trailers
The other is full of $20,000 to $150,000 trailers.

???? :huh:

rayjay

We used to have a houseboat in a marina on Lanier and discovered that many of the other people saw their time at the lake as a time to get drunk, play their music very loud and generally be a nuisance to the more family oriented people who might want to sleep at night. We were fortunate to be able to go during the week and generally avoid the freedom lovers .