Do you protect your sunflowers from deer?

Burton

I've planted about 1/3 of an acre in front of my house. Deer cross through there every other night though. Is there a certain time they will start/stop eating them and should I protect it?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
I don't think 1/3 of an acre will last very long if the deer pass thru there. It will be like lays potato chips ...... they can't eat just one and they will be gone quickly.

If you can protect them, then that's probably what you should try. Fencing or milorganite.

Triple C

Planted them twice. First time in 2012 in about 1.5 acres in front of cabin. Most beautiful thing you ever saw. It was like a picture! Did same following year and they never got above a foot tall. Deer wiped em out. Haven't planted since.

Good luck! Post pics of progression if you plant.

Burton

Alright, thanks guys. I guess I will put up a plotsaver fence this weekend. I don't have a planter, so all seed was broadcast. I planted one area way too thick and did not cover seeds. Lots of sunflowers coming up. I planted a 2nd area a little over recommended seeding rate and covered. They look pretty good so far. Then, I planted 2 more areas similar to the last. The 3 separate plantings have been 2 weeks apart each. Getting good rainfall so far. You can see dirt/grass in the back left corner. It was seeded 4 weeks ago with fescue/rye to try and restore grass from logging.

Attachments

• IMG_20170418_183856220.jpg
    IMG_20170418_183856220.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 887

Dirtroad Johnson

Deer love sunflowers, I've planted 'em on my place & they wiped 'em out. I even bought several rolls of polywire & intended to put around the field but I talked myself out of it. Fence has to be in certain patterns to be effective.

Burton

Deer love sunflowers, I've planted 'em on my place & they wiped 'em out. I even bought several rolls of polywire & intended to put around the field but I talked myself out of it. Fence has to be in certain patterns to be effective.

I assume some people here have used this stuff. I think it's pretty effective:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Plot-Saver-Acre-Starter-Kit/707534.uts

I learned about it when I was at Clemson where I took a "hunting" class. The guy who introduced it to us worked a large WMA owned by Clemson (Fant's Grove). He also professionally managed several other areas. He recommended the 4ft stakes you put in the ground with your foot and a 1 in ribbon. Mix a solution of plotsaver/water and use a sponge to apply to the ribbon. Hold the container under the sponge to capture excess and this stuff goes a long ways.

Dirtroad Johnson

I assume some people here have used this stuff. I think it's pretty effective:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Plot-Saver-Acre-Starter-Kit/707534.uts

I learned about it when I was at Clemson where I took a "hunting" class. The guy who introduced it to us worked a large WMA owned by Clemson (Fant's Grove). He also professionally managed several other areas. He recommended the 4ft stakes you put in the ground with your foot and a 1 in ribbon. Mix a solution of plotsaver/water and use a sponge to apply to the ribbon. Hold the container under the sponge to capture excess and this stuff goes a long ways.

That just may be a good alternative rather than putting up 3 strands of offset electric fence. Thanks for your info.

Burton

That just may be a good alternative rather than putting up 3 strands of offset electric fence. Thanks for your info.

YW, only problem is you have to re-apply every 3-4 weeks. It doesn't take long to apply - you just walk slowly around the perimeter with the wet sponge on the ribbon. Very convenient if you are close to the plot....but not so much if you are miles away.

Dirtroad Johnson

YW, only problem is you have to re-apply every 3-4 weeks. It doesn't take long to apply - you just walk slowly around the perimeter with the wet sponge on the ribbon. Very convenient if you are close to the plot....but not so much if you are miles away.

Would be a perfect fit for me, I live here on the property & I'm out & about the property every day except when we spend time in the mountains but if it only has to be reapplied every 3 or 4 wks then that won't be a problem either. :cheers:

Burton

One fence is up and treated, sunflowers are up, weeds are coming up. We'll see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_20170420_193036637-1080x608.jpg
    IMG_20170420_193036637-1080x608.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 782

guido5221

Electric fence

This is how I keep deer out of my sunflowers. I fence 10 acres. Works great

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 780

T.P.

Banned
This is how I keep deer out of my sunflowers. I fence 10 acres. Works great

guido, have you found an easy way to wind the fence back up when you take it down? Getting the fencing back on some sort of spool is the only part I hate.

Forest Grump

guido, have you found an easy way to wind the fence back up when you take it down? Getting the fencing back on some sort of spool is the only part I hate.

I use the winding reels for electric drop cords they sell at HD & Lowes, but I agree: it takes a lot more time & work to take it down than to put it up, esp when the wire is new. Lot hotter when you take it down, too.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

Attachments

• reel.JPG
    reel.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 754

T.P.

Banned
I use the winding reels for electric drop cords they sell at HD & Lowes, but I agree: it takes a lot more time & work to take it down than to put it up, esp when the wire is new. Lot hotter when you take it down, too.

That's what I used last year, Grump, but this year I'm fencing 8 acres and I've got to figure out a better way. It's 3500' around the plot X3. Ouch..

I've actually thought about rigging something up to the back tire of my Ranger and jacking the back end up and use it as a winch. Gas it in!:biggrin3:

Forest Grump

That's what I used last year, Grump, but this year I'm fencing 8 acres and I've got to figure out a better way. It's 3500' around the plot X3. Ouch..

I've actually thought about rigging something up to the back tire of my Ranger and jacking the back end up and use it as a winch. Gas it in!:biggrin3:

I bet a feller as handy as you can rig somp'un up...

https://www.ruralking.com/king-kutt...tid=60631813&gclid=CNfEkODQtdMCFcm3wAodf64Dpg

http://www.7llivestockequipment.com/wire_unroller.html

http://www.zarebasystems.com/zareba-spinning-jenny-fence-wire-de-reeler-htsj

http://www.zarebasystems.com/zareba-wind-away-wire-winder-140z

:biggrin2:

Forest Grump

T.P.

Banned
I wonder how those work, I would assume they'd have some sort of slip clutch in them? That would be nice though.