blood dog

bronco611

what breeds of small dogs make good blood trailing dogs? I was thinking about getting a small dog to train since there is always someone I know who looses a deer every year, maybe it would be better if I trained them to shoot better?

ishootlittlebucks

Got a young dachshund that's coming along pretty well. She's 9 months old, has found one and trailed one that I'm sure is still alive for a half a mile. She has had minimal training. My 9 year old has been messing with her in the yard with a piece of bloody deer hide. And that's about it. I think she'll be really good before long. Especially if my brother keeps not shooting straight.

Flaustin1

Jack Russells have pretty good noses. Ive got one that's a tracking fool. Gotta keep him on a leash though. He's silent on track and when he finds the deer he's immediately chewing on it. No noise whatsoever. Obviously, some breeds are bred for it and are better than average but I believe you can make a blood tracking dog out of any ol mutt.

jerry russell

Go to unitedbloodtrackers.org. There is a ton of information on their site on choosing a breed and blood dog training. So much depends on how you plan to use the dog. On lead or off lead is a big consideration.

Most importantly is the average time between shot and when you begin the track. If it is less than 4-6 hours, many dogs will get the job done. If you are going to be tracking for others at 20-40 hours you are best to go with specialty breeds from proven lines.

rvick

Some of the hybrid Fiest/Mtn. Curs are making good tracking dogs.