Deer Sign

Just wondered what kind of deer sign you guys are seeing in the woods right now? I didn't bow hunt at all this weekend, but I was at my Oglethorpe tract Friday and Saturday bush hogging and planting food plots. As I was bush hogging our road around the soybean field I was amazed at the number of fresh rubs that were on the edges of the woods. I even saw three cedar trees that were about 5 inches in diameter that had been hit HARD up to about chest height. These were within about 75 yards of the biggest cedar tree I have ever seen rubbed from last year - it was about 9 inches in diameter and was hit during peak rut last year.

At this time last year we had absolutely no buck sign at all on our property. ::huh:

Also, I did see two scrapes along the edge of the field. These were not huge scrapes, but they were down to bare dirt and under over hanging braches. Are these territorial scrapes, or just young bucks getting a slight taste of testosterone?

Randy

AgE,
I am no expert on deer biology but I believe these small early scrapes are territorial in nature. I believe the boss makes these early to mark his turf. I also found some on my property already.

Arrow Flinger

I found a few rubs this weekend but all the sign is real scattered right now. With green acorns on the ground all over, the deer are dispersed pretty good at the farm.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
I didn't find a single rub this weekend or scrape.

My dad found a couple of small scrapes.

Tommy