Traditional marriage, is it becoming a thing of the past ?

Artfuldodger

I don't necessarily disagree with that. But for now, they are...and we need to comply imho.

I think we need to comply if we want to be considered married as for as the government is concerned.
I don't see why we need to comply to this government marriage license as for as God is concerned.
God isn't requiring the license. The two aren't connected biblically. Just because the state requires one to receive state benefits, God doesn't require it to receive his benefits.
God doesn't or isn't asking us to follow the civil law in respect to marriage. It isn't going against the Bible by not getting a state marriage license. What is against the bible is to fornicate outside of marriage.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I think we need to comply if we want to be considered married as for as the government is concerned.
I don't see why we need to comply to this government marriage license as for as God is concerned.
God isn't requiring the license. The two aren't connected biblically. Just because the state requires one to receive state benefits, God doesn't require it to receive his benefits.
God doesn't or isn't asking us to follow the civil law in respect to marriage. It isn't going against the Bible by not getting a state marriage license. What is against the bible is to fornicate outside of marriage.

But you feel a couple has to stand up before someone who is accepted as a minister/priest/elder etc. and take vows to be considered married, correct ?

Artfuldodger

But you feel a couple has to stand up before someone who is accepted as a minister/priest/elder etc. and take vows to be considered married, correct ?

No, I don't believe that is necessary. A marriage is a covenant between two people before God. The ceremony doesn't make the couple married any more than a baptism makes someone saved.
Now I would think most Christians would want both of the aforementioned rituals to show to others that they are married or saved.
God already knows what's in our hearts.

Artfuldodger

So are you saying God wants to see commitment instead of a license ?

Amen. Only love can make a golden wedding ring.
(I missed this question earlier) When two people enter a marriage covenant before God, they become one.
The marriage license doesn't make two people, one.

Huntinfool

Maybe I should clarify.

Many of the thoughts, ideas and opinions that are being shared are very sad. That's what I meant.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think we need to remember this isn't one of the "free for all" forums. Please lets keep it on topic and keep it a sharing of information. I used to moderate this forum and know they still keep an eye on it.

We sure do. Keep this one on topic, no pics, etc. etc. or off it goes to the Spiritual forums where it probably belongs anyway.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
We sure do. Keep this one on topic, no pics, etc. etc. or off it goes to the Spiritual forums where it probably belongs anyway.

Thanks Elfiii,
I purposely didn't post it there due to the tendency of some folks being judgmental and taking it way off topic.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Amen. Only love can make a golden wedding ring.
(I missed this question earlier) When two people enter a marriage covenant before God, they become one.
The marriage license doesn't make two people, one.

I cant see how anyone could disagree with that

Bigtimber

I just don't understand the need to comply with the goverment to have a traditional marriage.....especially pick and choose comply. If you complied with what the government mandates, then gay marriage should be excepted as well. I can't see having it both ways.
And I would furthermore think the Bible is a guild to traditional marriage . I see no were in that great Book were it states marriage is anything more than a commitment between a man and a woman.

Also I see no were in that book anyone actually performs or mentions a wedding ceremony, gives any instructions on how to do so, any mention of a wedding cake, having a wedding ring, dresses in white, or anything of that nature whatever. So if its not in the Bible...its made up by man. Certainly nothing wrong with that....but bringing God into it and making it out to be a genuine religious ceremony like baptism ? I don't really know how that directly applies.

Last edited:

fish hawk

Bass Master
I just don't understand the need to comply with the goverment to have a traditional marriage.....especially pick and choose comply. If you complied with what the government mandates, then gay marriage should be excepted as well. I can't see having it both ways.
And I would furthermore think the Bible is a guild to traditional marriage . I see no were in that great Book were it states marriage is anything more than a commitment between a man and a woman.

Also I see no were in that book anyone actually performs or mentions a wedding ceremony, gives any instructions on how to do so, any mention of a wedding cake, having a wedding ring, dresses in white, or anything of that nature whatever. So if its not in the Bible...its made up by man. Certainly nothing wrong with that....but bringing God into it and making it out to be a genuine religious ceremony like baptism ? I don't really know how that directly applies.

Jesus preformed his first miracle at a wedding by changing water into wine. John 2:1-11
There is no commandment concerning wedding ceremonies. However, the biblical pattern is that marriages always begin with some kind of ceremony or wedding, most notable would be that of Jesus Christ and his bride.

Revelation 19:7-9
7Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
8 Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear.”
9 Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” And he added, “These are the true words of God.”

Last edited:

Bigtimber

Jesus preformed his first miracle at a wedding by changing water into wine. John 2:1-11
There is no commandment concerning wedding ceremonies. However, the biblical pattern is that marriages always begin with some kind of ceremony or wedding, most notable would be that of Jesus Christ and his bride.

Revelation 19:7-9
7Let us rejoice and be glad
and give him glory!
For the wedding of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has made herself ready.
8 Fine linen, bright and clean,
was given her to wear.”
9 Then the angel said to me, “Write this: Blessed are those who are invited to the wedding supper of the Lamb!” And he added, “These are the true words of God.”

Once....it mentions a celebration were the wife puts on some nice clothes and people ate? Seriously? I'm not saying anything is wrong with a wedding/party/whatever you want to call it. People being happy about a couple making that commitment is a great thing. Supporting that is a great thing....but making it out to be the right/only thing from a Bible teaching point of view is a big, big, big stretch.

Thats doesn't say anything more than hey...me and her decided to be be man and wife. Ya'll come over to the house and bring some wine, eat and party. lol. IF there was a wedding ceremony to be done at all.....wouldn't Jesus of all people be the one to perform it? Or mention he did it ANYWHERE? I mean Jesus himself is at the "wedding" and doesn't feel the need to do or make mention anything concerning a cerimony? Who more qualified? Alot of this is fabricated by man through the years.

I'd say traditional marriage is going away not because of some government non sense people cling too or some ceremony made up by who knows who.....its because the moral fabric in this Country has been burnt to a crisp and stomped out in the mud. My Grandfather refused to even watch tv whatsoever toward the end of his life....used to say....nothing but filth on it anymore. You know....he was right. Prime example....and its got 200% worse since then.

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
You do realize this is the On-Topic forum and not the campfire don't you?Your thinkin about valentines day!!!

On topic is for factual information to be exchanged. Not "here's my opinion, you can't present yours".

Valentines day is a good example of the commercialization of every human activity.

I am not trying to start anything here. Just a response to something already posted.