Rabies

roperdoc

Our area (Barrow/Jackson Co) has had multiple cases of rabies confirmed in the last year. A skunk entered a beagle pen, 13 beagles had to be killed because they were not currently vaccinated.
Two other homes had coons come up and attack dogs in the yard. 4 dogs in a yard were put down. A dog on a chain at the other home was put down.
Two cows were diagnosed with rabies nearby also.
These were dogs in their own yards and pens. What are the chances of a dog running into a rabid animal in the woods? And you never know until too late.
Don't take a chance with your dogs or yours and your family's lives by putting off vaccination. Treatment for rabies exposure runs right around $20,000 these days.
( yep, thats Twenty thousand, ask me how I know)

Make sure your rabies vaccinations on your hunting dogs are current. Don't wait.

roperdoc

I have to ask how do know.And hope u are ok

I examined one of the cows and diagnosed her with rabies. I also had to euthanize the dogs involved in the other cases. Myself and several other people had to have post-exposure treatment after contact with these animals. My treatment this time was less involved and a little less expensive than everyone else because I had received vaccines years ago. The treatment is very effective if given early after exposure and everyone is doing well.

I try to spend time hog hunting down your way. Maybe I'll run into you sometime and we'll go catch a pig.
Of course I feel more of an urge to bite an ear than to leg them these days! :biggrin2:

benosmose

Anytime my friend I might have a cut vest that will fit ya and plenty of mutts to cuss at.

nick220

I don’t think I would have told anyone about a skunk coming into my dog cage. I would have to wait it out and see if my dogs had rabies.