Venison Neck Roast

ChrisLakeCountry

Whats the best way or ya'lls favorite way to cook a venison neck roast? Crock pot with veggies or smoke? How do ya'll season one?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve cooked some in crockpot with the works and turned out great , but I usually just grind mine , sure is a lot of good meat on a neck that most throw away !

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I usually always grind mine into burger nowadays. Lots of good meat. Crock pot works well, too.

ChrisLakeCountry

Thanks ya'll. I think I'm gonna throw it in the crock pot in the morning loaded with some veggies so I can just kick back tomorrow afternoon and watch the game. Might wrap it with some bacon for some extra flavor.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Thanks ya'll. I think I'm gonna throw it in the crock pot in the morning loaded with some veggies so I can just kick back tomorrow afternoon and watch the game. Might wrap it with some bacon for some extra flavor.
I like a neck roast in the crock pot... Salt and pepper.. Garlic,onion, celery, taters , carrots and you are headed in the right direction pal!
That bacon will turn to mush in the crock pot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would skip the bacon and put as least amount of liquid as possible.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Neck roast covered in water with pack of Liptons onion soup mix on low all night.................Turn off in the am and cool............meat will fall off the bones and pull out the esophagus.............put in potatoes, carrots, and onions and cook all day adding salt and pepper to taste.................serve in large bowl over cracklin' cornbread............

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Neck roast covered in water with pack of Liptons onion soup mix on low all night.................Turn off in the am and cool............meat will fall off the bones and pull out the esophagus.............put in potatoes, carrots, and onions and cook all day adding salt and pepper to taste.................serve in large bowl over cracklin' cornbread............

I fillet the neck meat off the bone while the deer is hanging. There is no esophagus in it........

swampstalker24

I always do them in the crock pot... Did one while in college and a buddy tried some and loved it. Decided he would save the neck roast off the next deer he shot for the crock pot. Invited me over when he cooked it but unfortunately he didnt remove the esophagus.... Didnt taste too well. : rofl:

little rascal

Neck roast

I throw mine in an enamel coated dutch oven with veggies and seasonings and a little liquid and put in the oven covered around 250 for 3-4 hrs. it falls off the bone. You can do this with the shanks also that most people throw away. Makes for some very tender delicious eats! Just get the esophagus out beforehand!
facepalm:

aabradley82

I like to cook the neck with some beans in the crockpot. I've never left the goozle(esophagus) in mine. Always cut it out when gutting.

ambush80

I think you guys are talking about the trachea, the ribbed tube. Leave it in there. It makes for a good horror show for your dinner guests.:p I imagine the esophagus might contain digestive juices that would make the dish icky.

Goozle....that's funny.

ChrisLakeCountry

Thanks everyone for the feed back. I ended up cooking it in the crock pot seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper with potatoes onions and carrots. Turned out very good. meat was very tender and fell off the bone.

Attachments

• deer1.jpg
    deer1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 337
  • deer2.jpg
    deer2.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 337

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Looks great Chris!!!!!!:clap: