Serious question for serious collectors

Bennyhillbilly

Do you guys insure your collections and what do you base it on? I never post but I’ve got a decent display but would like an input from some of the experts...

Bennyhillbilly

Let me clarify just a bit, say you have a board of 100 pieces all the way up to let’s say, 50,000 pieces. How would you take care of what is priceless, no matter what you have? Would have expected at least ONE response by now...

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Call or google for what u want to put Insurance on. It may take one them specialty company’s.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
this time of year, posting is slow, and it may be a few days before you get a valid answer

Willjo

If you have plenty of money to make the insurance ceo's richer I would have them apprased and have a addition to my policy covering them. I don't consider my collection worth insuring so I will be out of luck if something goes with them. Course if you don't want to show them you may not want an aprazer to see them.

Duff

I have found every artifact in my small collection. I didn't pay anything for them and could never replace them with money if something did happen to them, so I can't see paying money to insure them. But the question wasn't to me, as I am not a serious collector. Now, if I had a big collection that had been purchased, I could see insurance being an option.

Would love to see some pics of your collection if possible.

Bennyhillbilly

Thanks guys for responding. Yeah, it’s not Lloyd’s of London caliber by any means and specialty companies do want an appraisal and I can’t find anyone remotely interested in looking at a bunch of old rocks and baked mud. It’s just stuff I’ve found or inherited over 40 years that is priceless to me. Just do not want it to end up in a yard sale when I go 10 toed.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Write a letter to go with your will to explain exactly what the collection is and how it came together. Will it to someone who will care as much about it as you do.

Forest Grump

If you have a collection that contains a lot of truly valuable (in the marketplace, not to you) pieces, like say museum quality Clovis points; you should have them appraised & insured.

If you have a more "typical" collection, that might contain a very few "perfect" points from various latter Eras, I think you will be both disappointed & financially irresponsible to insure them. Cheaper & easier not to advertise that you have them.

Overstreet can provide a general overview of what excellent points of various Eras are worth; in most cases, it is dishearteningly low...

Many of mine are priceless to me, but to a professional collector they might be worth the price of a fine steak dinner.

When I used to collect antiques, you got the best bargains from big dealers; when dealing with individuals, they always thought Grandma's dry sink or barrister bookcase was worth a fortune. Same with arrowheads; it's basically a rock collection... (except to folks like us that love to see them).:D

But, as suggested above: if you'll post a pic, there are plenty of folks here qualified to tell you if you have something really unique that might have market value...