What shells would you recommend?

Going to Arkansas after Christmas. Will be shooting #2's. What shells would you recommend or to stay away from?

Long Cut

Go pattern a few or buy the cheapest shells you can get. Cupped in ducks won't know if it was a $.50 shell or $2...

DRBugman85

:biggrin2: I wish.My Shot Shell of choice.are Winchester Drylok Supreme HV 3 inch, 1 1/4 #2 @1450 fps.There the best I've found for any and all ducks a little pricey but that's my opinion. Its as deadly as lead #4 was back in the day.I shoot about a case and 1/2 a year and they hammer in my 870 with a improved cylinder choke.

chase870

Possum Sox
Ill shoot anything but my preference is a 11/4oz load of #2's at 1450 I mostly shoot challenger shells

Quackmasterofgeorgia

B&P are about the cheapest, and they have hammered each duck I've shot this year, no miss fires. So in my opinion I'd say they're the best cheap shells. High dollar favorite is blindside. Least favorite is Kent because it ain't fun having gun powder hit you in the face and eyes, close second would be the cheap winchesters because of the pattern from my gun.

obadiah

I agree with the earlier post. Anything should be good for decoying birds. My preference is 3” 1 3/8 oz #2. I like the Kents and have tried some Rios too.

:biggrin2: I wish.My Shot Shell of choice.are Winchester Drylok Supreme HV 3 inch, 1 1/4 #2 @1450 fps.There the best I've found for any and all ducks a little pricey but that's my opinion. Its as deadly as lead #4 was back in the day.I shoot about a case and 1/2 a year and they hammer in my 870 with a improved cylinder choke.
The young ones just dont understand the birds you and I killed with lead #4

MudDucker

Staff member
I like Kent #3's myself. Plenty of killin' power and better spread than #2's. I only use #2's on divers.

Duckbuster82

Funny, I went by cabelas before the first season, and all the #4 and #5 lead was sold out. There was shelves full of i guess there was a lot of pheasant around that week.

krazybronco2

Funny, I went by cabelas before the first season, and all the #4 and #5 lead was sold out. There was shelves full of i guess there was a lot of pheasant around that week.

there was a big pheasant shoot in Thompson/Dearing area on the 25th.

The Fever

get them close and I have found the ducks don't have a preference.

DRBugman85

The young ones just dont understand the birds you and I killed with lead #4
AMEN BROTHER.. AA hull,Blue dot powder,AA red wad and 11/2 Oz of lead #4 was a bad duck killer.I reloaded a many a shell back in the day Mec 600 Jr still have it put back in the old shop.40 yards was a DEAD DUCK.I miss the day we shot lead but Winchester Supremes are as close as I seen to them.

AMEN BROTHER.. AA hull,Blue dot powder,AA red wad and 11/2 Oz of lead #4 was a bad duck killer.I reloaded a many a shell back in the day Mec 600 Jr still have it put back in the old shop.40 yards was a DEAD DUCK.I miss the day we shot lead but Winchester Supremes are as close as I seen to them.
I did exactly the same thing with 29 grains of Hercules Blue dot

MudDucker

Staff member

Same here, but I preferred #5 shot. Make a many of floating feather wads with these loads!

tgw925

Depends on how you're hunting. In the woods I shoot 2 3/4" 7's, in the fields I use 2 3/4" 4's and sometimes 3" 4's. Any cheap load is just as good as the best, dead is dead. Xperts will get the job done every time. Also, no steel load will EVER be as good as lead #4's.