Cold morning

Permitchaser

26 on my truck thermometer this morning. Had to wear my full body suit over layers. Also had a carbon stick warmer in a hand buff. Went to my goto spot thinking the cold would get them moving. Got in my climber before sun up and stayed till 11. All I saw was squirrels. I am on a hill in woods privit to my right and left and thick behind. Two green food plots in front of me and acorns falling on me. I threw out some clover,rape and turnip seeds around my stand and fertilized it. With the,rain its about 4" tall.
I am moving my stand since I have only seen one doe in 4 sits

oldfella1962

wow - all those food choices you would think something would pan out. I know I'm out of ideas - a went out a few days ago and no acorns were falling anymore so I think my spots have gone cold. But I did some quick recon after hunting and found a very active stream crossing I'm going to hunt when I get a chance this upcoming weekend - if I can handle the cold. :(

deast1988

I hunted Saturday evening, Monday Morning, Tuesday Evening. Didn't see any heard them blow 3 sits 3 types of locations I find late season prospecting works the best. Stay mobile, don't be complacent go find the sign move in if your not seeing them relocate.

Kris87

Evenings are the best bet right now. I've had tons of activity this past week. Some in the mornings, but a whole lot more in the evenings. I'm looking forward to this weekend.

oldfella1962

Evenings are the best bet right now. I've had tons of activity this past week. Some in the mornings, but a whole lot more in the evenings. I'm looking forward to this weekend.

Does this sound like a good evening spot? I'm going to hunt a well used stream crossing on a stream running west-to-east. Near the north side of the stream is a wide power line opening and mostly pines along the length of it. On the south side of the stream is typical "creek bottom" vegetation like gum trees and Carolina holly and river cane to the west (no privet), mixed semi-open pine and some hardwood to the east. All the water oaks (food if any acorns are left) are about 200 yards to the south of the stream. Better morning or evening?

Attachments

• map pic.jpg
    map pic.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 426

NATE176

Besides small doe's, nothing for me either. Have several trail cams out, everything seems to be moving at night.

oldfella1962

Besides small doe's, nothing for me either. Have several trail cams out, everything seems to be moving at night.

wow - with the rut over and hunting pressure slowing down (most hunters are running out of steam, plus the holidays, etc) is it normal for deer to be moving mostly at night? I'm just curious because my action has been slow lately.

deast1988

Moons pretty bright, but no way they shutdown my dad saw one slip by this morning 11:05am. Moved later today, I'm after Ducks in the morning but will be after deer Sunday.

saw two buck chasing late estrus does today on separate pieces of land more than 25 miles away from each other ( Madison and Ogelthorpe county)
. looks great for late season hunting. bundling up and getting at it.

Permitchaser

Going back in the morning. Moon is out now so maybe they will coming back and I can bush wack one
Got a big broom straw field on my left and a clover field to my right behind the privet. I'm in my climber in the woods that's not very wide so if they come by I'll have a shot

Permitchaser

Well got there in the dark, very cold but I had 2 hand warmers in my muff so I was toasty at 30 degrees
By 9:30 all I saw was squirrels if I had a field tip I would have shot one then posted a picture
Took my climber down will move it to another spot or take it 2 hours east where my friend invited me to have a shot at Buckzilla