Newbie Here

Jglenn14

I want to try waterfowl hunting for the first time, but I have never done it before. I don't have the first clue of what to do or what I need. Any advice is appreciated.

T-N-T

Read this forum and try to overlook the nasty that is spread here and there.
Get some steel shot and find the closest beaver pond you can in the woods and look for wood ducks there. Best start up duck out there.
Might not need anything more than rubber boots and any hunting camo you all ready have
Good luck

DRBugman85

Get some steel shot and find the closest beaver pond you can in the woods and look for wood ducks there. Best start up duck out there.
Might not need anything more than rubber boots and any hunting camo you all ready have
Good luck
AMEN ? and read the regulations

Mexican Squealer

Good luck

Solid advice...Wood ducks will spawn the addiction. Good luck.

T-N-T

Also I failed to mention in my first post, and I KNOW the fellas who quoted me would agree.......

Proceed with caution.... Wood ducks and the hunting of them slap ruined my life in one way or another.

jasper181

The best advice is don't do it, its a slippery slope ;) On a serious note, I think TNT gave you some solid advice. I would definitely keep it simple, don't go and waste a bunch of money on fancy decoys and calls. Woodies are the way to go , a pair of waders and a shot gun are about all you need to get started, if you have a buddy to go with that will show you the ropes that always helps.

Find a nice little beaver pond , flooded timber or something like that and go check it out. They like to roost in small ponds along the river, little corners of wetlands, oxbow lakes and things like that. Keep in mind woodies fly early and its normally over pretty quickly. They spend most of the day in small ponds, creeks and even flooded corn fields. You can go in the evening to scout and see if you can find where they are roosting, you may want to leave the gun just to avoid any temptation to shoot, you dont want to shoot beyond legal hours. Roost shooting in of its self can be a touchy subject but that different topic for a different day. My point is you can figure out where the ducks are going and coming from. You can always come back in the morning and do some pass shooting as they leave the roost.

Remember to read the regs, make sure you are only shooting steel and doing some practicing never hurt anyone. You haven't seen fast until you see a teal flying by at mach 1 , Ive had them plum embarrass folks of thought they could shoot.

AllTerrainAngler

If you want to get in a hunt this season and willing to drive a couple hours pm me.

Core Lokt

Hopefully someone will take you and teach you right from wrong. I took a guy that I had never met 5 years ago and now we are like brothers. Glad I took him and not passed up the opportunity....

Jglenn14

Thanks everyone for the advice! The end of the season snuck up on me and won't be able to make it out before Sunday, but definitely next season I'm gonna try to make a few hunts.

Latest posts