Stock market

PappyHoel

Don't worry and don't look at your 401k unless you're about to retire. There's a thread on it in the PF forum 'stock market crash'

T-N-T

Sell! When it drops way down in a couple of days sell it all before you loose more!

That's what my FIL did once and now he is bitter and depressed

MOTS

I've lost a good bit in the past few days, but still well in the black. I'll watch tomorrow really close being it's Friday!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The target date funds give the proper mix based on your retirement year. Check with your fund advisor.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
In perspective, this "crash" has taken us back to values around Thanksgiving of last year ..... It doesn't feel good, but it's normal and healthy for the market.

BeerThirty

I think it's going to keep crashing lower, DOW to 20k mark. The rally the market has seen since the election is unprecedented and still feels very inflated/overvalued on major optimism. If you plan to retire this year, i'd be worried about my 401k, otherwise just keep riding it out. That's the whole point. By the time I plan to retire in 2050, hopefully the DOW is pushing 40k and I'll be doing all right..

3ringer

The target date funds give the proper mix based on your retirement year. Check with your fund advisor.

Best thing since air conditioning . My 401k has done very well with Target 2035. I plan to retire sooner but like the higher risk of 2035 compared to 2025.

Artfuldodger

I had a broker talk me in to a Utilities Fund years ago. It did so bad I pulled my money out and put it in a regular S&P 500 based mutual fund.
That was back when there wasn't as many options such as lifecycle, target, foreign, etc.
I guess they were there then they just didn't have the same names. The key would still be to diversify.

DMCox

Typically the way you want to invest is consistently. This will help level out gains and losses to some degree. Say you buy stock A, B, and C one month and it just happens that month stocks A and B are up and C is down. The following month you buy the same stocks, but stocks A and B are down, while C is up. When you do this consistently you are likely to buy both on highs and lows so you are likely to make gains that will offset losses. Basically don't stop investing when the market is down or you don't have a chance to ride it back up. I've been investing this week as I see companies that are high value dropping in price which will most likely begin rising again after this market correction. Best wishes in your investing!

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
Keep buying more. Up your 401k contributions. This is exciting. Now stocks are going on sell. Buy buy buy

Patriot44

Banned
Don't worry and don't look at your 401k unless you're about to retire. There's a thread on it in the PF forum 'stock market crash'

I had to look at mine this month because I am doing a refi. I haven't looked at it in years. 2017 was WOW tho!

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Best thing since air conditioning . My 401k has done very well with Target 2035. I plan to retire sooner but like the higher risk of 2035 compared to 2025.

I hope to retire in 2 more years. The mix in the target date 2020 funds suits me fine.

shdw633

That's good advice but those type funds seem to hold way too much foreign stock for my taste.

Actually the best fund I have going is mid cap foreign investment. I just placed more of my retirement account into that mid cap fund to give me a little more return against my safer Target 2030 investments.