Tractor Question

Lumpkin Hunter

My Dad had a 1970 Ford 2000 gas tractor that he bought new. Now he is gone the tractor needs some small repairs. My Mom has no use for it so I am thinking about making her an offer to buy it. Do any of you have any experience with the buying and selling of older tractors? Do you have any idea what one like it might bring with it in what I would call decent shape for the age? I know this isn't much to go by but any info you can provide will be appreciated.

rospaw

My Dad had a 1970 Ford 2000 gas tractor that he bought new. Now he is gone the tractor needs some small repairs. My Mom has no use for it so I am thinking about making her an offer to buy it. Do any of you have any experience with the buying and selling of older tractors? Do you have any idea what one like it might bring with it in what I would call decent shape for the age? I know this isn't much to go by but any info you can provide will be appreciated.

"Gas" that comes into play with the value of this tractor. I see MANY of these tractors sell every year. Nicer,runs good, gas, good tires sells for about 2500.00. I have seen non running nicer 2000's (minor repairs, carb build, tires ect) sell for 1-2k. I have seen many priced at 3-5k but if you look they are still for sale a year later in most cases. 2500 is a fair price for a non beat up, lift working, fair paint, good tires, good running, GAS ford 2000.

95g atl

"Gas" that comes into play with the value of this tractor. I see MANY of these tractors sell every year. Nicer,runs good, gas, good tires sells for about 2500.00. I have seen non running nicer 2000's (minor repairs, carb build, tires ect) sell for 1-2k. I have seen many priced at 3-5k but if you look they are still for sale a year later in most cases. 2500 is a fair price for a non beat up, lift working, fair paint, good tires, good running, GAS ford 2000.

i'd agree

Lumpkin Hunter

Thanks
I was thinking it would be worth between $1000 and $1500. it needs some engine work, has some dents and broken light where my older brother doesn't watch what he is doing on it, have to shut down the engine to engage the PTO, paint is real rough, one rear brake needs work. I kinda want to buy it to keep my brother from tearing anything else up on it not to mention this is the only new tractor my Dad ever bought. We raised chickens, had a few cows and pasture to take care of through the years. The tractor and I have done a lot of work since he bought it.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
You are thinking about right on value. It sounds like it may need a clutch. If so this will involve serious mechanical work to "split" the tractor.

The sentimental value of the tractor is priceless, I know because I have my Dads 1971 tractor. I bought it from him before he passed away.

rospaw

Thanks
I was thinking it would be worth between $1000 and $1500. it needs some engine work, has some dents and broken light where my older brother doesn't watch what he is doing on it, have to shut down the engine to engage the PTO, paint is real rough, one rear brake needs work. I kinda want to buy it to keep my brother from tearing anything else up on it not to mention this is the only new tractor my Dad ever bought. We raised chickens, had a few cows and pasture to take care of through the years. The tractor and I have done a lot of work since he bought it.

With that being said .... a fair price to family would be 800-1200. You will most likely spend north of 2k fixing but to me that is the fun part!

Big7

The Oracle
I'd go with that.

Friend had one. Not sure if it was 1970 but it was a
2000 gas.

Easy to work on and decent on pull.
His knucklehead son abused it at will.

He gave $2000.00 for it about 15 years ago.

If you want to help out the estate, 2 or 2.5 would be fair
to your Mama.

Otherwise, throw in another grand and get a diesel.

First hand experience.

Just Sayin'.