Senior citizen information thread.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I asked a while back for a seniors over 55 years old sub-forum. It hasn't happened yet.

So I will start a thread in here that we can post stuff to that will help us save money and/or get better service due to our age. Insurance, restaurants, licenses, etc. Also any item or information that will help us find our way. Post them up in this thread. If it catches on and gets lots of reads it may qualify for a sticky thread.

I will start with the Senior lifetime pass for National Parks, National historic sites, etc. Anyone age 62 or over can qualify for a life time permit that gives you and anyone in the car with you free access to these sites. Example, places like Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, etc charge about $25-$30 per vehicle to enter. This lifetime permit is only $10 if you are somewhere and purchase in person or $20 if you order online. You will have to prove US citizenship. (I love that part) Something like a birth certificate or drivers license.

There is a list of places in Ga you can buy a pass at the website. You can also order online from this site.

https://store.usgs.gov/pass/senior.html

Last edited:

Grub Master

The Senior Park Pass will go to $80 at the end of the year. Get it now.

TJay

Got mine too. Don't forget when you turn 62 you can opt out of the school tax. At least you can in Cherokee and for us it save us about a grand.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you are between 60 and 64 and don't have your Georgia lifetime sportsman's license you may want to get one between now and June 30, 2017. It is going up substantially on July 1.

Red dirt clod

Just retired

Won't turn 60 till November, this kind of stuff always happens to me. When in 2nd grade if you cleaned your plate you go back and get one of Miss Molly,s buttered biscuits. Guess what? Next year when I was in 2nd grade they quit doing that. When turned 16 and saved for years working on farm to buy my 1st muscle car gas tripled in price and couldn't, afford to keep it.

swamp hunter

Got mine too. Don't forget when you turn 62 you can opt out of the school tax. At least you can in Cherokee and for us it save us about a grand.

Interesting...I'm gonna check that for my County even thou I live in Fla....Thanks !

breathe in

glad i looked. was thinking of getting a lifetime before they go from $500 to $750. then i saw this:

A new “older adult” category will be created for those ages 50 to 59, for whom licenses would cost $375. :banana:

cullyhog

Park pass now going up by end of August.
All eligible Senior pass orders postmarked before August 27 will be processed at the $10 price. Lifetime Senior pass orders postmarked after August 27 will be processed at the $80 price. Additional processing fees of $10 apply.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
The county that I live in allows seniors 62 and over to opt out of the school assessment portion of their property taxes. Pretty significant.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The county that I live in allows seniors 62 and over to opt out of the school assessment portion of their property taxes. Pretty significant.

What county is that ?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Park pass now going up by end of August.
All eligible Senior pass orders postmarked before August 27 will be processed at the $10 price. Lifetime Senior pass orders postmarked after August 27 will be processed at the $80 price. Additional processing fees of $10 apply.

I got my National Parks pass before it went up. Paid $20 including convenience fee. We went through 2 national parks last year in Arizona that would have cost $30 bucks each. This card is a GREAT senior benefit !!!

Killdee

Btw that pass is also the Corp of engineers ramp pass you can buy at the office at allatoona dam.

Artfuldodger

My Dad always had one of these for Army Corp campground fees. It was called the Golden Age passport. Now it is part of the America the Beautiful pass. You get camping fees at 1/2 price at Army Corp campgrounds.
It as $80.00 for the lifetime pass and $20.00 for the annual pass plus $10.00 if you get it on the internet;

About your Senior Pass

"$20 annual, plus a $10 handling fee. A lifetime Senior Pass is also available.
Valid for one full year from month of purchase (through last day of that month).
Please note that the price of the lifetime Senior Pass increased to $80 on August 28, 2017. Also, a new $20 annual Senior Pass became available at the same time. Click HERE for more information regarding the changes in the Senior Pass Program.
For U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over."

https://store.usgs.gov/senior-annual

Artfuldodger

New Senior Pass Update
Overview of Updates

Why did the price of the Senior Pass increase?

The price of the America the Beautiful – The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Senior Pass increased as a result of the Centennial Legislation P.L. 114-289 passed by the U.S. Congress on December 16, 2016.
When was the last time the price increased for the Senior Pass?

The Senior Pass has been $10 since 1994.
How much did it increase?

The lifetime Senior Pass increased from $10 to $80.
Why $80?

The legislation states that the cost of the lifetime Senior Pass be equal to the cost of the annual America the Beautiful - The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass, which is currently $80.

https://store.usgs.gov/faq#New-Senior-Pass-Update

I wish I had read this thread last year. I turned 62 last October. I would have had time to buy one for $20.00 instead of $80.

BassRaider

In Gwinnett Co at 62, you can get a partial school tax exemption. A full exemption at 65 if taxable income is under $48K.

Last year at 65 I purchased my lifetime GA fish license for $10. Also included was the National Park Pass. Was able to get in 6 National parks last June on a 3 week motorcycle trip out west. Did not cover the state parks visited.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Add something if you have something

Thanks

j_seph

I am not 55 but from experience with my parents some advice. Life insurance, my dad had some from work and did not know enough about it. Now in order to keep it he has high premiums. Find someway to put the money aside for this expense or a policy that once you pay so much it becomes yours.