6.5-300wby

Big7

The Oracle
Will the normal Weatherby freebore help to prolong the barrel life of this one ?

No..

Free bore has very little to do with bbl life.

On serious over-bore cartridges like this,
it will help the throat a little. Bbl life is a function of pressure and friction.

This one is serious pressure and friction.
Only going to last "X" number of times. (whatever "X" is for any given cartridge)
Not a whole lot you can do.

Elkbane

I set up the scope on one of these last fall for a friend, and was really impressed with the build quality. We used Warne base and Burris tactical rings - can't recall which Leupold scope we mounted (it was a higher end one); I do a lot of these and I've slept since then....I lapped the rings, leveled the reticles and torqued everything down to spec.

But what i do recall, is the groups using Hendershot's 130 grain Berger ammo. Cleaned the barrel before initial range visit, then one patch with Lockeze to put some graphite in the bore, then one clean patch to clean out some of the graphite residue. After boresighting, two shots to get centered on paper at 25 yards, 2 shots to get centered on paper at 100 yards, then 3 successive 3/8" 3 shot groups.

That rifle was pretty much good to go right out of the box.

Elkbane

Jester896

Senior Clown
might consider moly...that may extend the barrel life a little and you'll probably pick up some speed...not that you need it :D