I've had the itch

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Guys, I used to be a sho 'nuff trout bum. Every weekend and usually 3 or 4 afternoons through the work week, I'd be on a trout stream somewhere. Responsibility eventually caught up to me and I slowed down considerably.

But here lately, I've had trout fever. With as much rain as we've had, the streams are all running high and fast and difficult to fish, but when it's 60 degrees in February, a man has to try.

Few and far between on a dreary day yesterday, but this one fought hard and when I landed it, the beauty said it all. Dark and cloudy skies couldn't hide the colors on this one.

38517728170_fc86bfe1c2_b.jpg

40298259942_29aeb93bd6_b.jpg

whitetailfreak

Great pics. Responsibility still hasn't caught up with me. Maybe someday.

Last edited:

Killer Kyle

Lookin' good man! I did some scouting yesterday, and hit the river for the last hour of daylight on my way down. Didn't catch squat!! Ha! This weather truly has been phenomenal. You just couldn't ask for warmer days in February.
What sort of fly is that you caught that rainbow on? Looks like a crawfish streamer?

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Kyle, it's a black and orange fish skull bugger.

Looks like this

39648422474_855e9bc92f_z.jpg

Killer Kyle

That is pretty darned neat! Really cool looking fly!!! Looks kinda crawfish like to me. I'll bet that's be a killer shoal bass and smallmouth fly as well!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I bought me a pack of sculpin helmets the other day. Never have used them before.

jbogg

That is a beautiful fish. You guys have just about pushed me over the edge to start trout fishing. It’s got to be easier on the knees than chasing hogs.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I bought me a pack of sculpin helmets the other day. Never have used them before.

I've been mostly a dry fly purist for years, but the last few years I've been throwing big uglies.... and I like the results.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
It’s got to be easier on the knees than chasing hogs.

It depends. If you're like Kyle and chase brookies all the time, you're in the same country as when you're hog hunting. Except you spend your time hunkered over and squatting or crawling and it's even harder on your knees.

Killer Kyle

It depends. If you're like Kyle and chase brookies all the time, you're in the same country as when you're hog hunting. Except you spend your time hunkered over and squatting or crawling and it's even harder on your knees.

You are not kidding. JBoggs and I had planned a tentative hunt a week or so ago. I was brook trout fishing the day before (the day of the last thread I made). I hadn't done that since September I think. JBoggs told me he couldn't make the hog hunt the next day, and I told him I was actually kind of glad because my lower back was a little sore from being crouched over so low all afternoon before. It's funny how you can get out of "fishing shape". A full day of fishing brook trout can wear you out. Stooping low all day. Climbing up and down the creek banks, up and over waterfalls, crawling on your hands and knees in the water to sneak up to pools, casting while squatted or kneeling on both knees.
I think it's easier when wet wading in the spring and summer, but my hip waders are heavy, clumsy, and cumbersome and generally just make me more tired I think.

I know you say you used to be a purist, and throw big uglies now. Don't worry though...I won't start passing judgement until you start casting squirmies.::ke:. That's when you know you have hit rock bottom. Heh!!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I know you say you used to be a purist, and throw big uglies now. Don't worry though...I won't start passing judgement until you start casting squirmies.::ke:. That's when you know you have hit rock bottom. Heh!!

Squirmies? Dude, I won't even throw a San Juan Worm. I'm still snobbish enough that the thought of using a SJ makes me shudder.

Buckman18

Squirmies? Dude, I won't even throw a San Juan Worm. I'm still snobbish enough that the thought of using a SJ makes me shudder.

I hear tell that tipping your fly with some stick bait will cause your catch rate to multiply? That's what I've heard anyhow... :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hear tell that tipping your fly with some stick bait will cause your catch rate to multiply? That's what I've heard anyhow... :bounce:

Wasper larva comes off the hook easier when you see the ranger coming and jerk like you just missed a fish. :bounce:

The mtn man

You know I ain't above a SJ, but in all my years, I have never, ever caught a wlid trout on a SJ. And I've fished them a bunch. Green weanie is a different story, I might have fished garden nymphs a few times too:bounce: don't judge, a young boy has to do what he has to do!