Coyote or Cross?

j_seph

Another came through 30 min behind but was no where near this color and as full coated. Sorry for quality they were exported from video

Attachments

• EK000041_001.jpg
    EK000041_001.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1,185
  • EK000041_002.jpg
    EK000041_002.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,099
  • EK000041_004.jpg
    EK000041_004.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 1,100
  • EK000041_021.jpg
    EK000041_021.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,097

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Wow!
Looks like coyote crossbred with golden retriever in that last shot.
I think coyotes have been known to breed with dogs, particularly feral ones...

ryanh487

he does kind of look like a very healthy blonde coyote. pictures are a little blurry and hard to tell though.

Possum

Banned
Coy-dog hybrid. This is why I believe the eastern coyotes are larger and have a more significant impact on deer populations than their smaller western cousins. They have more dog dna in them. Many of the coyotes in north Habersham are large like that but are solid black.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That one looks to be a coytriever. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Coy-dog hybrid. This is why I believe the eastern coyotes are larger and have a more significant impact on deer populations than their smaller western cousins. They have more dog dna in them. Many of the coyotes in north Habersham are large like that but are solid black.

The several DNA studies done so far usually show the typical eastern yote to be about an average of 65% coyote, 25% wolf, and 10% dog.

Possum

Banned
The several DNA studies done so far usually show the typical eastern yote to be about an average of 65% coyote, 25% wolf, and 10% dog.

Yes we all know about your wolf studies and don’t need to start that debate again. I would say that one looks more like 50% coyote 50% dog but either way it shouldnt be in the GA woods.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yes we all know about your wolf studies and don’t need to start that debate again. I would say that one looks more like 50% coyote 50% dog but either way it shouldnt be in the GA woods.

Not my wolf studies-it's the biologists who have been doing them. And there is no debate that I know of-it's accepted scientific fact, verified again every time they do it. You seem to be the only one who disputes it for some reason,. I have no skin in it one way or the other, but I'd say DNA tells the tale, especially when study after study shows the same exact thing. Take it up with the scientists if you don't believe them, not me.

And, I agree with you completely on this particular one. Looks like a coyote/golden retriever cross.

Possum

Banned
I don’t dispute that coyotes have some wolf DNA in them. But so does every domestic dog you see, that doesn’t make them a wolf. The debate I was speaking of is the one we had where you and Nicodemus tried to tell me coyotes are good for the GA deer herd and are only here because the white man killed off the red wolves.

Last edited by a moderator:

mr otter

After the last wolf/yotes debate I now agree with NC hillbilly; however i think that there are varying degrees of wolf DNA in each yote. Some certainly have More while others appear to be less wolf and more coyote.

mr otter

This logic comes from having trapped 1000’s of them and studying their distinct personalities. As a live market guy I catch them alive and have more time to notice their differences.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don’t dispute that coyotes have some wolf DNA in them. But so does every domestic dog you see, that doesn’t make them a wolf. The debate I was speaking of is the one we had where you and Nicodemus tried to tell me coyotes are good for the GA deer herd and are only here because the white man killed off the red wolves.

No, domestic dogs do not show up wolf DNA. None. 0%. They show domestic dog DNA, unless it is a wolf/dog mix. Dogs and wolves are related, but their DNA is completely distinct and identifiable, just like we don't show chimpanzee DNA, even though our DNA is similar to it. Most eastern coyotes show all three types of DNA-coyote, wolf, and dog. Again, this is not me saying this. This is the verified and repeated findings of scientific studies on eastern coyotes. They apparently interbred with wolves and dogs on their way here. Even now, the red wolf restoration program in eastern NC is failing badly, partly because the wolves and coyotes keep interbreeding. They turned red wolves loose here in western NC for many years, too. And according to many scientists, a red wolf is nothing but a coyote/gray wolf hybrid to begin with.

And again, deer, coyotes, and various species of wolves have lived together here on this continent for hundreds of thousands of years. The only thing that ever wiped out the deer was people, not natural predators. And yotes spread east because of a combination of natural migration due to habitat change and an empty predator niche, and direct transport and release by humans.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
After the last wolf/yotes debate I now agree with NC hillbilly; however i think that there are varying degrees of wolf DNA in each yote. Some certainly have More while others appear to be less wolf and more coyote.

Yes, that is exactly right. The 65-25-10% figure is just a rough average from yotes tested in the east. Some have a lot less wolf dna, or a lot more, or none. And like possum said, the yote in the OP in this thread appears to be about half dog.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No, domestic dogs do not show up wolf DNA. None. 0%.

So Snopes is incorrect?

https://www.snopes.com/dogs-99-percent-wolf/

No, you are just misinterpreting what it says, and how DNA testing works.

As I said before, dogs and wolves are very closely related with similar DNA, but dog DNA is not a mixture of wolf and dog DNA-it is readily identifiable as dog DNA. When you take a DNA sample from a dog, it does not show up as a mixture of wolf DNA and dog DNA-it shows up as dog DNA, which is similar to wolf DNA. In a wolf/dog hybrid, a DNA sample would show up as a mixture of wolf and dog DNA. It would not in a normal dog.

Humans and bonobo chimpanzees share almost 99% of our DNA, just like wolves and dogs- but human DNA is readily identifiable from chimp DNA, and a DNA sample from a human does not show any chimpanzee DNA. Every human on earth shows a 99.9% similarity in DNA, but each individual's DNA is readily identifiable compared to someone else's.

Closely related similar DNA is not the same as a mixture of DNA. They are entirely different things.

Western coyotes sample pure coyote DNA. Pure wolves sample as pure wolf DNA. Dogs sample as pure dog DNA. Eastern coyotes sample as a mixture of coyote, wolf, and dog DNA.