Question

Core Lokt

Have any of you ever gotten a ticket or a warning for using your CB's while hunting deer with dogs and using them to communicate about the chase or the deer being ran?

This stems from a thread in the deer hunting section.

Thanks

Nannyman

Never heard of such. Some boys in Taylor Co Fl got in trouble with marine radios a couple years ago but not CB.
I don't see the thread you referenced.

Core Lokt

That's right. I was told it was illegal because of how the regs are written (they are pasted in the thread above) but I called bull malarky that CB's weren't illegal. If they were every dog hunter would be cited and there would be no dog hunting.

mikelowery9

It's in the regs about electronic communications devices while hunting, I don't know what the thin lines are but I have been running with dogs for 25 years I'm 30 by the way and never heard of anyone having a issue with cb's. But I think I know what your asking and I do not have a answer at this moment. Good buddies with ex GW give me a few days and I will get you a answer.

rvick

T., A little off the subject but on our old dog club everyone knew that Disseldorf didn't have any dogs. When someone would spot the warden they would call out "just saw one of Disseldorfs dogs on whatever road. Never had a problem about using radios.

mikelowery9

Talk to my buddy and that only applies to electronic calls. Legal to use cb's, cell phones, smoke signals, or a good ole holler to let your buddy know the deer are on the way.

apkorda

Regulations revolving around electronics and hunting in GA.....deemed illegal

Use of drugs, poisons, chemicals, smoke, gas, explosives, or electronically-amplified sounds to hunt any game species.

and

Use of electronic communications equipment to aid in the pursuit of game.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Talk to my buddy and that only applies to electronic calls. Legal to use cb's, cell phones, smoke signals, or a good ole holler to let your buddy know the deer are on the way.

Your buddy is wrong. That said, just because a law is on the books it is not always enforced equally in every situation.

mikelowery9

Wrong or right my buddy is ex GW and that's how they enforce it. My opinion is if you are skidish about the regs and it's verbiage then go with your gut. I personally like to roll the dice and go with what the warden tells me is the rules and go by it. I'm not here to debate the law just trying to answer a question going off what I grew up with and what the warden tells me. But I will say in my 25 years of running dogs over several different counties I have never heard mention of a ticket or complaint of running dogs with a cb radio.

mikelowery9

But since we are on a dog hunting thread and this would be the place to find out, calling all dog men and standers! Have any of you ever received a ticket for pursuit of a deer while using a cb radio? We definitely don't hide the whips and fire sticks so it's not like they don't know we have them. Just trying to help a fellow member out with his question.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I understand and agree that it is not enforced. That is what I said. It is important folks know that it is a violation, however, and it could be enforced any time the GW wanted to do it.

mikelowery9

One would think that if it's not enforced then it's probably not a violation. Doesn't make a lot of sense to have a reg that is never enforced. But I did have a chance to ask another GW that is still active and they said the same thing. It applies to electronic calls. Either way Core, apparently your safe reg or no reg.

Kwaksmoka

Not inforced but definitely illegal, we have done it forever without a problem but its in there no electronic communicatoin devices in the pursuit of game

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
One would think that if it's not enforced then it's probably not a violation. Doesn't make a lot of sense to have a reg that is never enforced.

One would think that, but then there are political entities that still have laws on the books about sounding horns on motorized vehicles when overtaking horse drawn conveyances and having a flag man proceed a motorized vehicle when it is traveling in reverse.

One town I live near has a law against policemen playing marbles on the rail road tracks. I have been waiting for years to make a citizens arrest on that one.:)

Core Lokt

Woody's needs an "Ask the Law" section like some of the other site I use does. Ask a question and it is answered by an active FWC LEO. DNR in this case for Ga.

Law or no law I have never ever heard of anyone being cited for running dogs using a CB or VHF. Now, you can get yourself in trouble using the wrong VHF channel.

Dog Hunter

Hard to believe if it is illegal that with all the issues with some clubs over the last years that it would have been used to shut them down and ease the headaches those clubs were causing.