Expectations To High??????

H

HT2

I know that most of ya'll think I'm nuts on all the "decent" bucks that I pass on.....

I got to wonder and thinkin'......(Scary thought, I know)......

I started a conversation with a friend that hunts with me in the "new lease" I've been on for 2 years......

We know that the lease really has a good number of "decent bucks" and a few "really good bucks" on it.......

I pass and I pass on your typical 8-pointer with a 15-16 inch spread that is more than likely a 2.5 year old deer.......Now, there's nothing wrong with this deer, but I've shot my fair share of them and it just seems a waste to kill the buck, process the meat, and just saw the horns off........That's why I want somethin' "BIGGER"!!!!!!!!!!

Are my expectations to high for where I hunt????? ::huh:

I know for a "FACT" that we have some big deer on the lease. The camera's solidify that. I seriously wouldn't doubt that one day we might in fact take a "Booner" off of it......That may be wishful thinkin' though......But, we have big hopes!!!!!!!!!! The lease has very little hunting pressure and the terrain is perfect......

We'll see what happens.....

Toliver

If you know they're there, why not wait? You're right about the smaller bucks. They're just meat that comes with antlers that'll be cut off and hung on the side of a barn or something. I may decide to cull a few bucks if I can determine with some certainty that they're older and aren't developing but I don't intend to kill any more small bucks except maybe on WMA's where they just want deer killed to thin the heard.

E

Etter1

I think your expectations are right on, but it would help a lot if your other club members were just as picky as you are. Don't forget though, not all bucks have the genetic potential to become true giants and killing a big 5.5 year old buck with a nice rack is just as challenging as killing a 5.5 year old that scores over 200. That bone aint making their brains any bigger. I wish you luck Tim. Now I'm headed down to cedar creek to blast a BandC.....or a spike.....whatever.

mpowell

i don't think your expectations are too high at all. we all have our varied motivations for why we hunt--some for meat, some for racks, some just for the fun of being with friends, and some just enjoy being outdoors.

good luck in your pursuit of a B&C buck!

H

HT2

Etter....

Yeah, the original club has just to many people with varying opinions......And, that's O.K. Too.....

That's primarily my reason for getttin' into that other lease.......

Kinda the best of both world's I guess.....

But, I primarily hunt 95% of the time on the newer lease.....

Good Imput....
Thanks....

Havana Dude

Tim,

I think that what ever works for you, you should do it. Do I think you are crazy? Let me get back to you on that one ::ke: It is all relative to the environment in which we hunt. An 8-pt with a 16" spread around here goes on the wall, 9 out of 10 times. We shoot 6- pt. or better at my place. Typically a 6 pt around here is 3.5 yr old, and believe me, if we don't shoot it someone else will. In 20 years, I only know of 3 deer mounted off our place and one of them, mine, should not have been mounted. One thing I think is important to remember is this. It would be wrong for someone to run you down for not shooting the smaller bucks, just as it would be wrong for you(not saying you do, have, or ever will) to run someone down for shooting a smaller buck. If I hunted a place that had gobs of potential for killing a shorenuff biggun, .... I could do the same as you. Just my opinion.

Junebug

I don't know where you hunt, but if you know the type of deer you are looking for calls your place home, stay after 'em!

HuntinMan

Like has been said if you know they are there keep up the hard work it will be rewarded one day. Also you have to hunt the way you like or it becomes like a job then it would be no fun. Since you said you have taken your share of 8 pointers then wait for that trophy!!!!! :clap: :clap:

reylamb

What good are goals if you do not have to work for them?

I was told this about goals in college:
If you want to succeed in everything in life, keep you goals simple, just how hard is it to become homeless? If you wish to occassionaly fail, but when you do succeed the success tastes sweeter, set you goals high. Not everyone will become a millionaire, but those that never try will succeed.

gabuckeye

Guess I will be the one with the different opinion. I use to do the same thing. We had plenty of bucks with a 15 - 16 inch spread. Some bigger. It was just take your pick of the 10 you saw each year if you wanted to. We all had great expectations of letting them walk every year and shooting a 150 class buck. After about 5 years of trophy management we still hadn't killed a buck anywhere near a 150 class. We began seeing less and less deer! I mean mucho less deer! The woods changed, not as much food and the neighbors began hunting hard shooting everything we let walk. We are surrounded by farm fields so they put a hurting on the deer. It got to where we were lucky to see 1 or 2 15 - 16 inch spead deer a year. We began killing these deer. All of a sudden we are seeing more large racked deer the last two seasons. Some of these are scoring in the 130s to 140s. During trophy management, we also had been shooting the fire out of the does to bring down our population. Against my wishes and complaints, we stopped the trophy management. It turned out to be a great decision. The last 3 years we have limited all members to just 3 does each and most don't take more than one. We allow members to take any buck for their first and the second must have a 15 inch spread and 4 points on a side. Several members kill small bucks every year then hunt the big boy. We are seeing and killing more and better deer. Hunting has been a lot more fun since taking that pressure off to kill the biggest deer in the woods and just take a nice one. So, If I were you, I would take a buck here and there. You may not have them to take later.

willhunt

The key word...

...in what you said was "waste". IMHO if you feel that taking a 15" eight is a "waste" then you shouldn't do it.

Everybody hunts for different reasons and everybody has different ideas of what makes a particular buck a shooter.

As long as you are satisfied letting 2.5 year olds walk, and your hunts are still enjoyable then by NO MEANS are your expectations too high.

Just my 2 cents...

wh

D

dave

HT2 said:
I know that most of ya'll think I'm nuts on all the "decent" bucks that I pass on.....

I got to wonder and thinkin'......(Scary thought, I know)......

I started a conversation with a friend that hunts with me in the "new lease" I've been on for 2 years......

We know that the lease really has a good number of "decent bucks" and a few "really good bucks" on it.......

I pass and I pass on your typical 8-pointer with a 15-16 inch spread that is more than likely a 2.5 year old deer.......Now, there's nothing wrong with this deer, but I've shot my fair share of them and it just seems a waste to kill the buck, process the meat, and just saw the horns off........That's why I want somethin' "BIGGER"!!!!!!!!!!

Are my expectations to high for where I hunt????? ::huh:

I know for a "FACT" that we have some big deer on the lease. The camera's solidify that. I seriously wouldn't doubt that one day we might in fact take a "Booner" off of it......That may be wishful thinkin' though......But, we have big hopes!!!!!!!!!! The lease has very little hunting pressure and the terrain is perfect......

We'll see what happens.....

Leaning vegan :eek: :confused: :eek: Just joking, Tim. Blast does for meat, and wait as long as you want for your buck. It's your hunt. :shoot:

GAGE

GONetwork Member
It sounds like these leases cost you a fair amount of money so I am with Dave on this one, shoot the does and let the "little ones" walk! If you already have a box/wall or whatever full of past smaller horns, why shoot another one?
I believe your goals are very realistic, keep planting the good stuff, maintaining the land and feeding them in the off season and time will tell!
On my club in Greene Cty. which is 1780 acres of trophy managed land, the chance is definiatly there at a 130+! Last year there was a beautiful 145+ killed and to date this year, there has been 2 high 120's as well as a mid 130's piebald killed! They are seeing numerous "little ones" as well so I need to stop hunting in Elbert Cty. and get over there!
If the good Lord is willing, they as well as you will be there next year!

Gage

reylamb

Then again Tim, you could hang up that blasted fire stick and hunt strictly with a bow. Then come back and tell me how many of those decent bows you have a chance at and let walk.

smitty

let them grow!

H?T of course its not nuts ,its your right and choice to let them walk.I too hold out for something a little better and bigger!!!Its hard,but my own way! :bounce:

H

HT2

Rey.....

That just ain't gonna happen.......

I "LIKE" to bow hunt.....

I "DON'T" love it!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p

Meriwether Mike

I think that what type of deer you take is relative to what type of lease you are in. If you have strong land and several higher class deer on camera then the decision is a good one. This would of course require all members participation. If waiting on a 140 class deer and taking the chances in unfilled tags is what you want then definately go for it. Not all leases are in this situation so each has to be taken on its individual merits.