Old brick??

Oldstick

Have a question for any brick experts. We are trying to determine if this brick could possibly be one that my Dad (departed in 2011) had saved from his mother's house demolition around 1970.

The house was very old in Hawkinsville on the lot where the CPA office is right across from the DQ. Probably 100 years old+ at that time.

So can anyone tell if this brick would date back that far? Seems kind of hand-made looking with the 2 holes off center.

Attachments

• brick.jpg
    brick.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 280

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
No brick expert here, but lookin forward to some replies.

bilgerat

Senior
contact old south brick co in Mobile, they could tell you something about your brick

Artfuldodger

The Cherokee Brick company has been in Macon a long time. They may could help you.
Is their any mortar on the brick? I don't know anything about bricks other than having a mild interest. We pulled some out of a river bank once on the Pascagoula River. I remember people getting bricks from the Desota Hotel in Savannah when they tore it down.

So was this house solid brick or veneer brick? It's a shame they tore down a 100 year old brick house. Maybe it was just the foundation that was brick.

I wonder if bricks back then even had holes. I think those were extruded and then cut. Maybe that is where the cut marks came from.

Interesting though, keep us informed if you find out anything. Augusta is also a big brick manufacturing city. I've ran across brick streets in Florida stamped "Augusta Block."

I remember seeing many brick streets in my youth that were finally paved over with asphalt.

Oldstick

The Cherokee Brick company has been in Macon a long time. They may could help you.
Is their any mortar on the brick? I don't know anything about bricks other than having a mild interest. We pulled some out of a river bank once on the Pascagoula River. I remember people getting bricks from the Desota Hotel in Savannah when they tore it down.

So was this house solid brick or veneer brick? It's a shame they tore down a 100 year old brick house. Maybe it was just the foundation that was brick.

I wonder if bricks back then even had holes. I think those were extruded and then cut. Maybe that is where the cut marks came from.

Interesting though, keep us informed if you find out anything. Augusta is also a big brick manufacturing city. I've ran across brick streets in Florida stamped "Augusta Block."

I remember seeing many brick streets in my youth that were finally paved over with asphalt.

I know it wasn't the house that was brick. It was an old house with siding, probably rough cut pine. The foundation could have been brick or there were remnants of an outbuilding. I can't remember since I was pretty young.

Probably a strikeout, since this brick was found by my brother at my parent's house in Cairo GA among a pile of other spare bricks.

After our house was remodeled the first time back in the late 80s, there were some similar bricks around the property. House was originally built in the 40s. My current house was also built around that same time, and has a brick foundation but the bricks are more slender and smooth.