Making sausage and hog fat

The Rodney

Very blessed to have been given half a hog shot near Columbus. Never had one. Boned the shoulder and combined with scrap meat to make sausage (tonight that is), ham will be smoked Saturday, ribs I gave to a buddy, and that loin is getting grilled. Question.... I trimmed every bit of fat off the meat and wondered if that was the right thing to do. Is wild hog fat okay to blend into your sausage and keep on the ribs? Also, do I need to mix the wild hog meat with pork but for my sausage? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1742SMALL.JPG
    IMG_1742SMALL.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_1749SMALL.JPG
    IMG_1749SMALL.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 744

bany

You did right IMHO. I take all the outer fat off. And I would never add any other protein or fat to it. It’s excellent to add to venison if you make bologna or sausage.
Wild pig fat doesn’t break down like store bought so I keep the ribs leaner too.
You don’t have to get crazy taking all the fat (inner) off. Hard to beat whole hog sausage too.

red neck richie

Wild hog ribs aren't worth cooking imo. Not enough meat or fat on them. If making sausage you may want to buy some extra fat to put in it. Wild hog fat is a lot leaner.

Killer Kyle

Wild hog ribs aren't worth cooking imo. Not enough meat or fat on them. If making sausage you may want to buy some extra fat to put in it. Wild hog fat is a lot leaner.

WRONG.

Hog ribs always cook up 100% perfectly fine for me. I can eat till I'm stuffed and still have half a rack left. I have never, ever had any issues with hog ribs. I love them.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’m no expert, actually just learning also , but I just ground one up a few months ago and I used the fat that was on the hog , even used the belly fat and it’s great, I even mixed a deer shoulder in ,also enjoy the ribs , smoke them just like any other ribs

red neck richie

I’m no expert, actually just learning also , but I just ground one up a few months ago and I used the fat that was on the hog , even used the belly fat and it’s great, I even mixed a deer shoulder in ,also enjoy the ribs , smoke them just like any other ribs

Really? you found enough meat and fat on them rib bones worth cooking? I'm all ears. Smoking them on the grill is your recipe? What wood did you use? I'm kind of partial to hickory.

hunterofopportunity

Really? you found enough meat and fat on them rib bones worth cooking? I'm all ears. Smoking them on the grill is your recipe? What wood did you use? I'm kind of partial to hickory.

Maybe we should ask what size hog are the ribs off of? If you shoot a pig there isn't much meat, but if its a 80 lb plus hog we get plenty. The trick to wild ribs is to trim it, rub it, wait 24hrs and smoke it at 220 for about 4 hrs then I wrap it in tin foil and cook another 2-4 hrs depending on the size. They are fall off the bone tender. If you want to chew them cook in tin foil less time. I never throw away the ribs.

hunterofopportunity

And not much hickory around to cut where I live so I use oak to get the coals, then dry pecan for the flavor. If you can get the cuttings, peach or apple limbs have great flavor. Sometimes when I cook several pieces of wild game I use a pan of apple juice inside the smoker to add flavor and moisture.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I use oak , and also wrap them in foil when done , for another hr or so , I’ve used several different rubs , I actually plan on smoking some this weekend off a nice little fat 60lber , After I get done cleaning a turkey I Hope , I’ll post a picture,I’ve also cut all meat off the ribs and ground it up also for sausage

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
And not much hickory around to cut where I live so I use oak to get the coals, then dry pecan for the flavor. If you can get the cuttings, peach or apple limbs have great flavor. Sometimes when I cook several pieces of wild game I use a pan of apple juice inside the smoker to add flavor and moisture.

Both red oak and pecan are really good woods to smoke meat in. I prefer it to hickory. I also use peach wood on chicken and mullet. Pear wood wood too when I can salvage some limbs.

T-N-T

WRONG.

Hog ribs always cook up 100% perfectly fine for me. I can eat till I'm stuffed and still have half a rack left. I have never, ever had any issues with hog ribs. I love them.

Send me your recipe.

He shoulda told you he kills big ol pigs too. Not throw on your shoulder and head to the truck ones.::ke:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Actually, pecan is a hickory. It's milder-smoked wood than some of the hickories like mockernut or pignut or shagbark. Pecan is my all-around favorite smoking wood. The peach and apple are great too, as are post oak and cherry.

Keep in mind that wild pork is pretty much the same meat as the free-range domestic hogs that generation after generation of our ancestors lived off of. They rendered that fat down into lard. If they've been eating acorns and such, it won't be as sweet as corn-fed domestic pork fat. I've killed some that were eating from corn feeders that had a lot of good usable fat on them. That famous expensive Spanish pork is fattened on acorns.

red neck richie

The last one I cooked was about a 60 to 70 # boar. The ribs were tough and full of cartilage. Hardly any tender meat. But I cooked it on a propane grill. I will try the smoker next time. Maybe that's the ticket?

Darkhorse

As for the sausage I always trim all the fat off before grinding. The reason is, depending on what the hog was eating the flavor of the fat will vary from good to rank. The ones that have been rooting and feeding down in the mud bottomlands have the worst tasting fat to me.
Pure wild hog sausage is dry and I get tired of it fast. I buy domestic pure hog fat from a butcher and mix it close to 50/50. BTW the same treatment works great for deer sausage, another dry meat if not treated right.
The best way to turn off someone who's just trying either one for the first time, is to give them a dry piece of meat they gotta chew on.

DaveLB

I did some ribs from the last medium size 100# hog I shot. Wasn't impressed. Tender enough and tasty, but not enough meat to be worth the trouble IMO.

As far as sausage making goes, I would definitely add some fat. My first couple batches I didn't and it was dry and not too great. I am now adding 25-30% by weight or so. I use pork or beef fat (whatever the butcher has handy). It makes a world of difference. Dry sausage isn't worth the trouble of making it. Keep everything ice cold while you grind so the fat doesn't melt. You want to be able to see the fat in the mix before you stuff it.