Scope Help

GarAngler71

I just bought a Savage model 10 with a 20in barrel in 223 and I know nothing about scopes. I plan on target shooting maybe 175 yds at the most maybe a bit more. I need recommendations on a scope,magnification,mounts,ect ect. Thanks for any help!

wareagle700

Whats your budget? The ammount of magnification depends on what kind of shooting you will do. If its strictly target shooting, go with a 20X or so. If it might be used for hunting a 2.5-10 or 3-15 or something in that range might be better and still plenty of magnification. A picatinny base and rings would be my choice for mounts.

killerv

For the money, I've become a Nikon fan. Also Redfields.

Nikon..love'em.

They've got a nice Buckmaster 6-18-40 you can pick up in the 300 range, good rings and mounts can run you between 50-75 bucks. And of course, the sky is the limit with everything, but that would be a nice setup that would fall under your budget

Old Texan

Nikon..love'em.

They've got a nice Buckmaster 6-18-40 you can pick up in the 300 range, good rings and mounts can run you between 50-75 bucks. And of course, the sky is the limit with everything, but that would be a nice setup that would fall under your budget

I have a Nikon BM 4x16-40 on a Rem 700 .308 and it does the job for target shooting.

Doc_Holliday23

I think the Leupold VX-II is a lot of scope for the money. Other good values include the Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200.

Leupold VX-3 and Zeiss Conquest are even better.

Millet and Leupold rings and bases are nice but I have started using DNZ Game Reapers as they are a true one piece mounting system. Some think they look a little bulky but they are nice and light. Good rings should cost around $50-75.

For shooting out to 200 yards, I don't think you need anything more than 9x and you will get better glass for the money if you stick to a standard configuration like 3-9x40.

ScottD

Well - if you are target shooting with a .223 at that range, it is better if you can see the bullet holes.

Weaver T36 can be had for under $500. They are 1/8 min clicks and are still widely used in Benchrest. They are a 36x power and hold POI very well. They are purely a target scope with an adjustable objective lens. I have maybe 3 of them and for the dollar - they are the best target scope out there in my opinion. They are a 1" tube so get rings accordingly.

Old Texan

I think the Leupold VX-II is a lot of scope for the money. Other good values include the Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200.

Leupold VX-3 and Zeiss Conquest are even better.

Millet and Leupold rings and bases are nice but I have started using DNZ Game Reapers as they are a true one piece mounting system. Some think they look a little bulky but they are nice and light. Good rings should cost around $50-75.

For shooting out to 200 yards, I don't think you need anything more than 9x and you will get better glass for the money if you stick to a standard configuration like 3-9x40.

I was told that the Bushnell Elite is made by Zeiss or another high scope maker. To your knmowledge is this true?

For target shooting I like more power out at 200yds.

Michael F. Gray

You may wish to check on Mil-Spec scopes designed around that cartridge. A few years ago they were mighty pricey, but several are available fairly reasonably today.

Jimmyp

look at Cameraland NY the Minox scopes are good, I have the 3x9 for two years now. Get a demo minox or a conquest 3x9.