4th Annual Food Plot Prep Picture Thread

GAbuckhunter88

Brought home a dozer and put in some long hours this weekend at the property. Graded about 2 miles worth of roads as well at expanded two half acre plots to a little over an acre each. Started bush hogging some of the plots and sprayed them all to hopefully disc in two weeks with the plan being to plant end of September.

Already laying out two new plots I want to create next spring. I went ahead and got roads pushed into them so I can get the lime truck back to them in the spring.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 732
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 735
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 735

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Your plan is coming together!

Triple C

Getting ready for fall plantings. Mowed Aug. 6th.
Mowing Aug 6.jpg

Limed Aug 18th.
Liming Aug 18.jpg

Sprayed gly Aug 19th.
Spraying Aug 19.jpg

Fertilized Aug 26th.
Fert.jpg

Had plans to plant radishes n turnips following fertilizing but soil moisture not adequate so we will plant following 1st rain which looks to be a great chance in our area on Wed - Fri. If it rains on Wed we will plant brassicas on Thur. Won't plant grains n clover until late Sept or early Oct.
Seed.jpg
BFOs.jpg

One week after spraying plots. We will plant into dead thatch with a one pass planter. Spot sprayed areas we missed this past Saturday.
IMG_4039 (2).jpg

Tree tubes you can see in left side of pic above are growing with Yates apples we grafted in March on to B118 rootstock. These grafts were just 6" to 9" scions. If you've never used tree tubes they work! Tubes are 5 ft tall and growth is out of tube since grafting in March.
graft.jpg

Canuck5

Looking nice Triple C! I may be down this weekend to do a few things too!

Triple C

Excellent chance of rain in forecast through the weekend. Gonna get brassicas in the ground this week. Usually wait until end of September or early Oct to plant rye, wheat and oats but I'm tempted to plant it all this week with the rain in the forecast. We've never planted grains n clover this early. What's your opinion on planting everything this week?

Canuck5

You will get your cereal grains to germinate, with moisture and grow. Most of your clover will sit there till the temperature cools off. Mother Nature won't let it germinate till the chance of it's success is the greatest, so if you're planting it with your cereal grains, your grains will get tall and shade out your clovers(?).

Now, will your cereal grains get tall and to the point of not being palatable, come rifle season? Maybe?

September is one of the driest months of the year, typically and I am always concerned about that and one of the reasons I try to wait.

Maybe hedge your bets (if you're inclined to plant) and not plant all and see where you stand, the end of September? Worst case you'll have some fresh planted tender morsels for the deer to work on.

It's early ....... but then again, last year, I did not have any food plots till Thanksgiving.

deers2ward

Looks like Harvey is going to bring some rain tomorrow through Sat, so that is good.

Does seem like September is a total drought month the last couple of years at least.

I mowed a couple weeks ago to the ground with the bush hog and hasnt rained since so still short. Will spray at end of sept, then plant middle of Oct.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Excellent chance of rain in forecast through the weekend. Gonna get brassicas in the ground this week. Usually wait until end of September or early Oct to plant rye, wheat and oats but I'm tempted to plant it all this week with the rain in the forecast. We've never planted grains n clover this early. What's your opinion on planting everything this week?

I have planted at Labor Day several times with good results. I have also had Army worms that came through in September wiping out my early plots.
I typically wait until late September now.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You will get your cereal grains to germinate, with moisture and grow. Most of your clover will sit there till the temperature cools off. Mother Nature won't let it germinate till the chance of it's success is the greatest, so if you're planting it with your cereal grains, your grains will get tall and shade out your clovers(?).

Now, will your cereal grains get tall and to the point of not being palatable, come rifle season? Maybe?

September is one of the driest months of the year, typically and I am always concerned about that and one of the reasons I try to wait.

Maybe hedge your bets (if you're inclined to plant) and not plant all and see where you stand, the end of September? Worst case you'll have some fresh planted tender morsels for the deer to work on.

It's early ....... but then again, last year, I did not have any food plots till Thanksgiving.
This^^^^^^^
The deer need more food assistance Dec-March.Thats another reason to wait.

Triple C

Appreciate the comments guys. I've never planted grains or clover this early but got tempted with the rain supposedly coming this week. I'm gonna wait till the end of September or early October and plant the grains and clover as usual.

I am planting brassicas this week. Will post pics as the plots develop.

Canuck5

Well, I am starting to get that itch!!! How are the brassica's looking Triple C? They out of the ground yet? Have you gotten much rain?

Got my seed order placed, which will be on a pallet ready for me, when I am ready!!!

Triple C

Well, I am starting to get that itch!!! How are the brassica's looking Triple C? They out of the ground yet? Have you gotten much rain?

Got my seed order placed, which will be on a pallet ready for me, when I am ready!!!

1.03 inches of rain prior to planting last weekend and 0.34" rain since planting last weekend. Assume they've germinated. Not going down this weekend but will take pics next weekend. I've got oats, wheat, rye and clover ready to go in at the end of the month. Looks like this weekend will be the best archery opening day weather wise in a very long time and I'm not gonna be there. Oldest son and grandson headed down this afternoon to place a couple of ladder stands and hunt this weekend.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Well, I am starting to get that itch!!!

Me too!

Dirt is turned and I visited your homeboys in Manchester last Friday and picked everything up. I put lime down last week but it was too wet to do anything else.

With rain coming next week I'm like a kid at Christmas. Plots are all going in this weekend including my clover. I'm ready to park the tractor in the barn for the last time this year and break out the camo and weapons.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Just have to finish spraying for nutgrass this weekend in the clover.Touch up spraying the crabgrass and bushhog 100 acres. Overseeding next weekend.THEN I can concentrate on being a killa.

Canuck5

Looks like everyone's plan is coming together!!!!

Canuck5

Something tells me we are going to have a big (Irma) acorn drop next week.

GeorgeShu

Canuck, just about 11 months ago hurricane Matthew blew through SE Ga with winds in 70+ mph range. It knocked over countless big old oak trees many of which were top heavy with acorns.

Lets hope this wind will rattle the acorn out of the trees but leave them standing.