Ammo question

wareagle700

No longer than 2 years.

I've got the proper disposal equipment if you need to get rid of any.

Big7

The Oracle
I have some surplus 7mm Mauser from 1920.

Still shoots like new.

Havana Dude

Apparently not as long as i do. Went on a little dove shoot wednesday, have not shot dove in many years. On a whim, I bought some estate dove loads about a week ago. But first I thought i would use some of the old shells Ive had. After about 5 missed birds, had not cut a feather, I decided to change over to the new shells. Left with 5 shots of the new ammo fired, and 4 birds. Maybe it took a few shots for me to get on, I dont know. Coincidence maybe?

In a clean, dry, no humidity storage locker can last a VERY long time. Ive still got ammunition I shoot and hunt with that I bought 25 years ago and they go boom every time like new. Keep the elements away from it and care for it as you would your guns and you'd be surprised how long it will last. In perspective? Ive got Weatherby ammo with the tiger on the box and Ive got a few boxes of paper hull shotgun shells that Im still using. Ive got some .22lr in 50 round boxes that have the .29 cent sticker from Woolworth's.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've got a bunch of 7.62x39 from the early 70s that still shoots just like the new stuff.

Big7

The Oracle
I had a bud give me a 8# can of Win. 540.
it was his Dad's and no telling how old it was.

Called Winchester and asked a tech.

He told me that only extreme heat (enough to cook-off)
would hurt smokeless powders of any kind.

And to be through, I checked elsewhere.

Yes, water is not good and most will still fire even if subjected
to moisture.

Especially mil-surp. most have lacquered primers and case mouths.

I still take great care of mine. Ammo can in a cooler is your best bet. ;)

Like I said, I have 7mm Mauser head stamped 1920
that shoots fine.

rosewood

Have some 60's era 45 acp hardball that I went through a box recently and it was dead accurate. Seemed better than the newer stuff I have shot.

Rosewood

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I store all my ammunition and powder in military bullet boxes, and I expect it will still be good long after I`m gone from here.

Darien1

If you are talking about the stuff in the gun you carry every day I would say about every 6 months. If you store it right it will keep almost indefinately

trial&error

Personal defense worn everyday rain or shine? I try to stay proficient and use up whats carried as often as I can. That being said I haven't bought any new cases for that purpose in over 5 years.

hayseed_theology

No longer than 2 years.

I've got the proper disposal equipment if you need to get rid of any.

That's a mighty generous offer. This is what I love about this forum - always someone willing to go the extra mile to help another member out when they're in a bind.

SC Hunter

I have some 22 ammo that I know is 20 years old that my dad bought. I keep all my ammo in my safe on one side and guns on the other. I have a dehumidifier in the safe so it should be good for a while.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I have several boxes left of IMPERIAL 22 caliber Long Rifle "High Velocity". I purchased a bunch of these boxes back in May of 1973 from J.M. Field's here in Augusta. By the way, I am looking at one of these boxes right now and the price sticker on the end of the box is 59 cents per box of 50 rounds.

At the same time, I also purchased a Marlin 30-30, model 336 rifle along with a couple of boxes of 30-30 ammunition for anticipated deer hunting BUT somebody ultimately broke into my apartment and stole it ALL so I never even got to shoot it either. Thankfully, the 22 caliber ammunition was in a separate bag and wasn't with the rest so they didn't steal it.

So to answer your original questions, I know that it will last at least 44 1/2 years as this ammo still shoots perfectly. I have never kept it in a humidifier environment BUT I do keep it locked up in a large "old Army trunk" for all of these years until I decide to go shooting.

The low-down thief also stole my Marlin/Glenfield single shot 22 caliber that could shoot shorts, longs, and long- rifle bullets.